Author Topic: Delete virus emails without user intervention  (Read 2920 times)

Offline alanwin

• I'm still a llama!
Delete virus emails without user intervention
« on: November 10, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
My 3rd party Email anti spam/ anti virus filtering service has thrown out its home-based users and only wants big commercial customers instead, so as from today my Email feed is arriving raw and unfiltered. It was good while it lasted, but Avast! is now working overtime!

I am using Eudora on Win XP SP2.

There may be 40-50 Emails waiting for me and most of them are virus ones. Avast! identifies each one perfectly but it seems I have to delete each one individually. Is it possible for Avast to delete each virus Email silently (by which I mean, just delete it and then check the next mail, without relying on my intervention if possible.)  Thanks for any help. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Delete virus emails without user intervention
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 05:31:19 PM »
Is it possible for Avast to delete each virus Email silently (by which I mean, just delete it and then check the next mail, without relying on my intervention if possible.)  Thanks for any help. ???

No, only in Professional version (see picture here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=13315.msg112285#msg112285).

In Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" as soon as the first virus warning appears, and click on "No action" button. This way, nothing will be done and you will be presented the results at the end (and you can perform actions from there).
You can set the Internet Mail provider, choosing Customize and going to the Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanwin

• I'm still a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:00:36 PM »
You can set the Internet Mail provider, choosing Customize and going to the Advanced tab and select Silent Mode and the default answer No. This will send the file (email) to Chest.

Brilliant -- that is what I will try. Am also looking closely at upgrading to the Professional version. Thank you!  :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »
Personally I don't use silent mode, because I want to know what is going on with my system.

If you are regularly getting these infected emails, so as to be intrusive and not wanting to be notified about them, perhaps it is time to review your PC security. Rather than treat the symptoms, treat the disease. You can intercept these emails at source (your isp/services mail server) and delete them there, rather than download them.

I use MailWasher Pro, although it is primarily for Spam it is also easy to deal with suspicious emails. There is a free version, but this only works with a single email account. The Pro version works with multiple accounts. There are other options for checking email at source and deleting the spam or suspect email at source, the email server, you don't have to download it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline alanwin

• I'm still a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 09:58:22 PM »
I get maybe 50-60 virus mails per day, as my email address dates back well over 10 years. It's a Demon Internet POP3 account. Also spam was a problem, 300 per day. That's why I used Emailfiltering.com as a front line defence until they pulled the plug on home users. Avast! is really excellent, has detected worms that Norton missed. I recommend Avast to everyone now.

Eudora has a plugin that can check into the mail server POP3 and I can delete junk direct off there without having to fetch it, but I'm quite happy if the mails are fetched (they're only small) and silently deleted by Avast without me needing to stand over it.

Another decent little POP3 mail client I used is JB Mail http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/jbmail/.

Thanks Alan