Author Topic: Windows XP slowdown  (Read 3993 times)

REDACTED

Windows XP slowdown
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Hello,

I have a bunch of WinXPSP3 machines still in my district and with the new crop of crap out there we cannot be left without antivirus. When I install the Avast client on our machines and then restart it slows them down quite a bit. 

I know WinXP is behind the times, etc...But for now it is all we have. Any thoughts on how to speed up the machine with the client from AEA install of Avast for Schools? We need something and even thought about installing the consumer version and seeing what happens but thought I would find out anyone that has any ideas how to speed up the client that is available for it now.

Any help would be appreciated... we are in our summer here and have time to work on them and get them safe and working...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Windows XP slowdown
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:40:16 PM »
Upgrade the hardware.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
I would love to, but may have to do that we are currently running them with 1 gig of ram. Maybe upgrading to 3 gigs will help, but a totally new machine..welll being a school district that would be a heafty price tag to do that many machines.

The memory may be a way to go but was wondering what if anything could I turn off when installing that wont run...

Thanks for the reply

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:27:15 AM »
On our XP machines, we ONLY have the file shield running. Every other shield is turned off. You could also turn off the 'on-access scanning' and just leave the scheduled scans to take care of everything. But with every piece you turn off, you open more security holes. At the end of the day, you're running on outdated machines with outdated software and hardware.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:46:51 AM »
"tweak" windows for optimal performance.
Don't let thing start when there is no need for it.
Perhaps lower the screen-resolution also.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 01:57:48 AM »
I have many XP clients that our clients use everyday with AEA and ASOA.  As Vincent Stated, turning off all shields except for the file shield will give the smallest possible footprint for the client install. With 1GB of RAM, every megabyte will be a precious resource!

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Well it looks like I Will have to turn it all off except for the file scanning. Unless we can find money to at least upgrade the memory, that is our only option. Thank you all for your thoughts and things that we can do to make it run better. I do appreciate the input.