Author Topic: Avast blocking most internet traffic when Web Shield is enabled  (Read 24468 times)

REDACTED

Re: Avast blocking most internet traffic when Web Shield is enabled
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »
Thank you kindly. Although I don't see 2218 I will download 2215 and try that. I will report back here of my success or failure. I hope the current version did not "Break" something else that will stop this from working.

By all means, please contact me as you will. I would be happy to help if possible because I spent many years in developing software even at the lowest levels and fully understand the ripple effect that one change can have in another area that had nothing to do with the original places code was changed.

You are correct DavidR, I did just jump into this thread since opening another one with the same issued seemed redundant and whomever reads this might follow what is going on.

Cheers

I uninstalled (not using your cleaner) and reinstalled the version 10.2.2515 and now the web issue is gone and the pages display normally again. There are no certificate errors with that. On the email side, I am still getting an invalid certficate from my ISP.

I will contact them just to find out if Murphy's law hit and in fact they are having a problem but considering the size of the company, I am skeptical they are. I will enquire anyway but it did happen exactly the first time I launched my email after installing your 10.3.2223 version.

Once again I will report back. I must turn off the mail shield when invoking my client (Outlook Express) < --- yes old but if it aint broke, don't fix it as the saying goes to get to my ISP's email server, sympatico.

Cheers 

PS ** Ps I hope the powers that be fix your new version. I have unchecked update new programs so I hope it does not go back to the new one although the popup has advised me it is available.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2015, 10:39:44 AM »
Hi Ront50,

what OS you have, please?

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 02:26:45 PM »
Hi Ront50,

what OS you have, please?

The system with this problem is XP!  I have the new version installed on one system with W7 with no issues seen and I have two more W7 systems that I am refraining from updating in the event it goes wrong.

Cheers

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »
Thanks Ront50,
 that was our suspicion ;-) Problem is only in some cases on Win XP, we are working on a fix already.

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 08:37:21 PM »
Thanks Ront50,
 that was our suspicion ;-) Problem is only in some cases on Win XP, we are working on a fix already.

That is great news MartinZ and is commendable that you will still support it. There are still tons of XP users in the world as you know. It could be worse, it could have been millenium :D

Cheers

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
In your case should help if you got to Settings->Active Protection->Web Shield-> Customize->Uncheck "Enable HTTPS Scanning"

Martin

P.S. what you like to much about Win XP? ;-) We know a lot of users still use it but we don't know why ;-)

REDACTED

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 04:32:05 AM »
In your case should help if you got to Settings->Active Protection->Web Shield-> Customize->Uncheck "Enable HTTPS Scanning"

Martin

P.S. what you like to much about Win XP? ;-) We know a lot of users still use it but we don't know why ;-)

Very simple. I have some really good software that runs on it (Pro audio stuff). It's reliable and fast. If I were to update that system to a new OS I would lose so many years of data and programs that will just not work on them.  If  you really don't know why we like XP I am thinking you never had the opportunity to use it for any length of time which is the case for many computer users that have not been at it since the first Commodore 64 and Apple ... even before truth be told :) We watched the migration, saw how MS likes to screw up every 2nd OS. Great marketing for them, for us? Not so much. The old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.

I am pretty sure I did at some point turn off HTTPS but so many important websites use it so if that will leave it vulnerable, I am not certain it's a great solution.

Does this mean there will be no change to the existing product to address our issues?

Cheers

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 05:20:36 PM »
Is your XP up to date with all the updates ?  Is it 32 or 64 bit OS ?
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2015, 06:06:04 PM »
"If I were to update that system to a new OS I would lose so many years of data and programs that will just not work on them. "
Windows 8 is a lot more tolerant of old software than any of it's predecessors. Since Windows 10 is build on the back of Windows 8,
this also holds true of the latest version of Windows which will be released on 7/29/2015.
I had some very old 16 bit games that never ran on windows 7 but worked on Windows 8.
Give it a try, you may just be surprised.  You could always try one of those programs you aren't sure about on a friends newer OS. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 06:49:09 AM »
Hello,

I just wanted to add my voice to the growing chorus about this issue...because I've been affected, too.

* I just updated/upgraded my Avast Free Antivirus 2015 to v10.3.2223 (just like some others I saw in this thread)
* I run WinXP as well (just like some others I saw in this thread)
* I get peculiar "invalid certificate" errors at some unexpected sites (i.e., google.com, netaddress.com {my email provider} and avast.com{!} are those I tried, and where the error also showed up)

But...

* I called Avast for support (7/26/15, 11:30pm ET, usually GMT-5) and the technician (Benjamin) insisted that this was my computer's fault, and not Avast's for supplying a bad update.
* He claimed to not have heard of this issue before my call (do they NOT read these forums?)
* He then insisted that I'd need to pay for "Tier 2 Support" that he said I needed to fix this.
* He THEN said that I should talk to Microsoft for further assistance because (again) it was my computer (which he kept saying was running "Windows HP", not XP, while besmirching MY computer knowledge as, he insisted, necessarily being less than his -- I have my doubts) causing this as far as he was concerned...even though this thread intimates that it was, indeed, Avast's update, instead, as I suspected.

So, anyway...

I'm posting here so that I can hopefully receive an update of an imminent(?) post from someone authoritative and knowledgeable at Avast with more information.  I hope it comes soon...

Thanks,
Bram

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 06:58:47 AM »
* I called Avast for support (7/26/15, 11:30pm ET, usually GMT-5) and the technician (Benjamin) insisted that this was my computer's fault, and not Avast's for supplying a bad update.
* He claimed to not have heard of this issue before my call (do they NOT read these forums?)
* He then insisted that I'd need to pay for "Tier 2 Support" that he said I needed to fix this.
* He THEN said that I should talk to Microsoft for further assistance because (again) it was my computer (which he kept saying was running "Windows HP", not XP, while besmirching MY computer knowledge as, he insisted, necessarily being less than his -- I have my doubts) causing this as far as he was concerned...even though this thread intimates that it was, indeed, Avast's update, instead, as I suspected.
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2015, 07:01:16 AM »
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)

Thank you for responding, Asyn.

Is this "Vojtech", who posted in another thread here, wanting to see logs related to this issue?

Thanks again,
Bram

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2015, 07:13:12 AM »
Is this "Vojtech", who posted in another thread here, wanting to see logs related to this issue?
Nope.

PS: Workaround (XP): Disable HTTPS-Scanning in the web shield.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »
Nope.

PS: Workaround (XP): Disable HTTPS-Scanning in the web shield.

Thank you, Asyn.  Also, it took me a while to figure out how to do so, but I've implemented the workaround.  Here's hoping (a) that it works, and (b) that it won't reduce my protection to an unacceptable level.

Thanks again,
Bram

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »
You're welcome.