Author Topic: Avast blocking most internet traffic when Web Shield is enabled  (Read 24462 times)

REDACTED

First of all, I've had nothing but good experiences with AVAST. This one Windows 7 64 bit computer I've using though has had some issues. When Web Shield is enabled most internet/network traffic is blocked. I can reach google docs and that's pretty much it. AVAST won't even update from it's own servers when Web Shield is enabled.
It did not do this until about 3 weeks ago.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast blocking most internet traffic when Web Shield is enabled
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »
Perform a repair of avast and see if the problem is solved.
If not, perform a clean installation of the latest avast version.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
That worked. I'll default to that tactic next time.

Thanks.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »
This is also sometimes related to third party firewalls with outbound protection.
After a avast program update you sometimes must delete all avast rules in firewall, reboot and create new rules when asked

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »
Yeah, stopped working again. I just disabled Web Shield permanently and that fixed it. Won't update without doing that.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »
Yeah, stopped working again. I just disabled Web Shield permanently and that fixed it. Won't update without doing that.
Not a good idea since 80% of all infections come from the internet and the Webshield  module is what protects you on the internet.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 05:29:26 PM »
Not only has the webshield caused problems by not loading and proclaiming invalid certificates even on banking sites (** plus Avast's own sites) , but the mailshield also brings a number of mail programs to a halt by saying that huge ISP's such as Bell Canada *Sympatico is also invalid.  Personally I have no problem on one system and huge problems on this one. I have read many posts from now and past and uninstalled and reinstalled Avast with no joy. In past, it was said, a new build fixed it as clearly this new version 10.3.2223 has had a negative impact.

I hope the powers that be will fix it since it was not in any other build.  Fingers crossed but unless that happens it looks like a number of loyal avast users will have no choice but to abandon this great product.

Cheers.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 05:58:44 PM »
Is your system date and time correct ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
I wonder if this is similar to a topic I saw a while ago on https certificates, being down to having an old version of Firefox, the ESR version or something like that.

@ Ront50
What browser and version number does/did this happen on ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:51:59 PM »
Hello,

Yes my system date and time are correct. The fault occurs on Google Chrome Version 43.0.2357.134 the latest one, Firefox version 39 also the latest for browsers

Email clients:
Older outlook express and Sympatico.ca is the ISP, one of the largest in Canada and Thunderbird V 31.5.0 ... needs an update just recent that is used for only hotmail sites and they are all deemed to have incorrect certificates since this latest Avast update

Fair to say the email clients and browsers do not seem to be the issue here. If I do a system restore to your last version since I installed this only yesterday, I am confident all will work again. I am doing a system backup before I do any of that however clearly that is not the option I prefer.

Thank you in advance for any insight you might give us all.

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
Hi Ront50,

which Avast product do you have, please? Could you please try uninstall and install it again?
It's really weird that Repair helped but then it broke again..

Thanks

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
Hi Martin,

I have your latest update to the free version. I never said repair worked. It did not work and I have installed and reinstalled it a number of times. The mail and webshield need to be turned off before they work. As mentioned, they claim that the most trust worthy site have bad certificates. I need your last version 2015.10..2218 as I am using on this computer. All google searchs and downloads even if they say are that version are actually 10.3.2223.

Could you please direct me to anywhere I might get your last version. I will install that and wait until your next release that hopefully will resolve this problem. Clearly the reports about certificates and sites by these versions are false

Thank you for your help and I am certain that last version will help the numerous people here having the same problem with this release.

Cheers.   ** A pinned post with a link to it would be great as you would absolutely have it on your servers somewhere and not filehippo that has only the current version even if it say's it's another.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Ront50,

which Avast product do you have, please? Could you please try uninstall and install it again?
It's really weird that Repair helped but then it broke again..

Thanks

Martin, it was the original poster artbellemar that tried Repair which supposedly worked for a while.

Easy for confusion when multiple users post in the same topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 05:42:42 PM »
Older versions can be found here:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php#version-listing

But we will check it again, some devs might contact you back if you don't mind.

REDACTED

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 08:06:39 PM »
Thank you kindly. Although I don't see 2218 I will download 2215 and try that. I will report back here of my success or failure. I hope the current version did not "Break" something else that will stop this from working.

By all means, please contact me as you will. I would be happy to help if possible because I spent many years in developing software even at the lowest levels and fully understand the ripple effect that one change can have in another area that had nothing to do with the original places code was changed.

You are correct DavidR, I did just jump into this thread since opening another one with the same issued seemed redundant and whomever reads this might follow what is going on.

Cheers