Author Topic: Better known  (Read 3599 times)

sven1960

Better known
« on: November 10, 2005, 08:01:53 AM »
Hi Guys
Just wanted to know why avast isn't as well known as other AV's and why does avast only recieved a standard certification from www.av-comparatives.org. I think avast is a great piece of software and it needs to start knocking some of the big names off their ivory towers. Here is a little example, at eicar .com i did the tests using the so called great kaspersky, but this av failed to pick up one of the tests and yet little old avast, who some of the reviewers can't even bother mentioning, picked up each test. The only thing I would like to see avast do, is have a better detection rate as per the "www.av-comparatives.org" test and then it would recieve a ADVANCED + certification. That would then make the so caller professional reviewers sit up and look at what a great av avast is.
Sven

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Better known
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 11:47:03 AM »
Welcome to avast! forums.

1. Reviews and reviewers should see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=12175.msg102828#msg102828
2. Read Vlk's post about AV comparative tests: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=4979.msg36041#msg36041
3. Here how independent are some of these tests: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14071.0

I'm sure we are protected 8)
The best things in life are free.

IBK

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 09:03:05 PM »
AV-Comparatives does test Avast because IT IS a good scanner. I know several other AV's which some of them are maybe more known but which will fail by far to reach the 85%. I just do not name them (atm) to avoid problems. I see that Alwil is continuosly improving their detection rates and working to get even higher detection rates in our tests, as it is a process that can not be done over night, maybe it will take a bit before they jump to advanced+, but I guess that they will probably be able to reach advanced in the next on-demand test of february.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 12:19:21 AM »
That would certanly be a nice thing for Alwil and avast! (Advanced rating and stuff) :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 12:00:42 PM »
Thanks IBK, improving the test will make it more feasible.
But, why did you write this phrase:

AV-Comparatives does test Avast because IT IS a good scanner.
You test only not-that-good scanners?

IBK

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 01:19:53 PM »
what?  ??? I said we test only good scanners.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 01:41:41 PM »
what?  ??? I said we test only good scanners.
Oops. Sorry. Now I get your point.