Author Topic: processes  (Read 2700 times)

wilson44512

processes
« on: November 11, 2005, 05:35:01 PM »
hi all. im new to avast. an just download avast. i have noticed that after installing it. i see that i have 5 more processes.running for avast. do i really need all them running all the time?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: processes
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 05:54:26 PM »
I suppose you have to have four avast! services running.

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashdisp.exe (is the 'icon' on the system tray).

You can configure the providers you want, the sensitivity you need or want...
To be full protected you should use the default seetings but you can customize almost everything here  8)
The best things in life are free.

wilson44512

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 05:58:21 PM »
for my pc to be protected does all these have to be running at boot up an stay running
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner service)
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashdisp.exe (is the 'icon' on the system tray).

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »
for my pc to be protected does all these have to be running at boot up an stay running
No... you can remove the icon on system tray (there is an option into Program Settings) and avast! Update Service could be set to Manual.
Other two services ashWebSv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe will only take resources while running.
I don't think you must change anything. A good level of protection (and resources balance) will be achieved by 'Normal', no need for High.
The number of processes shouldn't worry you that much as they will use resources only when needed or required by your action.
The best things in life are free.