Author Topic: Win32:Trojan-gen  (Read 5258 times)

lgbale

Win32:Trojan-gen
« on: November 09, 2005, 07:28:49 PM »
HI!

When running avast, I was notified that my pc had the Win32:Trojan-gen virus.  The avast cleaned the trojan, but not before I had uninstalled McAfee and now my pc will not renew the IP address and I can't get onto the internet to get help. It seems to be getting worse, as now my pc does not recognize the DVD-RW drive and will not read any type of disk inserted.  I can not get the system to boot from either the DVD-RW/CD-RW or the CD-RW drives.  Without access to the internet on that computer, I am most limited with the help I can get.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Win32:Trojan-gen
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 02:10:46 AM »
The avast cleaned the trojan, but not before I had uninstalled McAfee
What do you mean?
Did you use avast! Cleaner (a standalone application) or install avast! antivirus?
Did you have, at the same time, avast and McAfee?
The best things in life are free.

lgbale

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 03:30:41 AM »
Should have been more clear.  Sorry.  I installed avast when my McAfee subscription expired.  All was fine, but knew I needed to remove McAfee and did so.  After I used windows xp uninstall, the next time I booted my pc and ran avast, avast found the trojan and cleaned it.  at that point I was unable to access the internet because the pc could not renew the ip address. I attempted to manually renew the ip with no success. The pc has no internet access and has been loosing other capabilities as well.  It no longer recognizes the DVDRW/CDRW drive as that.  It recognizes the CDRW drive as a CDR only.  It will not boot from either the CDRW or the DVDRW.   Since I have no internet access I am unable to download any fixes or run any scans using online resources.  anything that is suggested, I will have to access on another pc and move to the infected one using a thumbdrive, the only thing that is still working!  Sorry!  I am a bit frustrated at the moment. 

galooma

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 06:04:14 AM »
When you say you uninstalled Mcafee , did you run a registry cleaner afterwards
sometimes AV dont come out as easy as they go in

Do you know how to boot into safe mode?

Are you able to boot into safe mode?
when you say Avast cleaned it ,do you actually mean cleaned or deleted. or moved to chest?
Do you have your operating system installation disk handy?
The CD rom drivers you are probably missing or have but are corrupted will be re-installed if you run an update
good luck

Spiritsongs

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 06:14:47 AM »
 :) Perhaps you should try downloading a copy of "LSPFIX" or
    "Winsockfix" from www.spychecker.com onto a CD from a
     "working computer" !? These programs are designed to
      restore internet access after it has been terminated by
      malware. Do not know if this approach will work since
      you mention problems with your Drives.

lgbale

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 01:39:16 AM »
Problem solved!  Thanks!!!    :) :) :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
Problem solved!  Thanks!!!    :) :) :)
What did you do...?
It will be nice to know: could help other users with the same problem and help us to know how to help  8)
The best things in life are free.

lgbale

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 01:56:20 PM »
I downloaded and ran both the fixes recommended and it worked. 

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 03:22:51 PM »
Thank you as that is likely to help others in the future, welcome to the forums
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security