Author Topic: Incoming clean message not on all emails  (Read 11779 times)

xpjohn

Incoming clean message not on all emails
« on: November 12, 2005, 12:04:22 AM »
I am using Avast Home and just recently it has stopped inserting the "Clean message" on some of my incoming emails but not all.
One particular friend who sends me emails reguarly has no incoming messages on the emails that she sends me but strange thing is, the message appears when she forwards an email that has been sent to her from somebody else.
The emails from this friend always included the message at the bottom of the email in the past, but recently this hasn't been the case.
My friend is also using Avast and the emails that she sends me directly do not contain any outgoiing clean message, the whole thing is blank at the bottom. No outgoing or incoming message. But the messages are there when the email is forwarded from her but not when she sends a direct email just to me.
Emails that I send to her have both outgoing and incoming clean messages on the email.
I also sent myself an email from my gmail account and the same thing happens, no incoming "clean" message on the email, just blank.
I also sent myself another email from another email account that I have with Hotmail and the incoming message is on the email.
The messages always appeared previously, its only happened recently but most of my emails have the message inserted.
Why is this happening and what do I do to change it to work on all emails.
I have both incoming and outoging messages ticked to be inserted in all emails.
My email client is Mozilla Thunderbird and has worked great with Avast up until now.
I am sure Avast is scanning these emails because the little globe spins when I receive them.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Incoming clean message not on all emails
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:46:36 AM »
Which is your operational system?
Are you talking about txt or html email messages?
On the outgoing, aren't you checking the 'Sent items' folder, are you?
The best things in life are free.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 01:57:37 AM »
Since you are using the nickname xpjohn I am guessing that you are on Windows XP.

What kind of email accounts are you receiving in Thunderbird?

Are they regular POP3 email accounts where you are using port 110?

Are you receiving your Gmail account in Thunderbird?

Are you using third party programs to receive Webmail (Hotmail, Yahoo etc) mail into Thunderbird?

xpjohn

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 11:08:50 PM »
Yes I am using XP home and its a POP account.
No not checking my sent folder for outgoing mail, I know the messages dont show up in the "sent" folder"
I dont have my gmail go to my thunderbird account. The problem is with both html and txt emails but only from some senders, not all.
This problem has only just recently occured and for no apparant reason.
I have noticed that all emails with attachments have the messages both incoming and outgoing from my friend mentioned above and any mail that she forwards to me from other senders also have the messages.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 12:36:46 AM »
First I would suggest that you do a manual program update as there is a new version of avast available (4.6.731), once update you will need to boot. There have been some changes to the email scanner so perhaps it might help.

Then confirm in the Internet Mail settings that you are in fact asking for a clean note to be inserted in outbound and inbound (if you want that also) emails.

If so, send yourself a test email and check that it is being scanned (avast On-Access, Internet Mail) both outbound and inbound. You should be able to see that it is being scanned from the email headers (properties), something like this for both outbound and inbound email.
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0545-1, 09/11/2005), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 02:31:37 AM »
xpjohn, if you don't have the X-Antivirus tags like David described I think you're not getting your mail scanned  :'(
First of all, Gmail uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer) connections and avast mail scanner can only support SSL if you follow settings like here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=10428.0

Did you install a proxy program called Stunnel and the OpenSSL drivers?

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 04:46:00 AM »
Tech,

xpjohn said above that he does not have his gmail delivered to his Thunderbird client - so gmail is not an issue.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 05:04:51 AM »
Messages can be a little confusing when you receive forwarded mail from another avast user, as I do too.

I rather think that in the case of your friend:

When she receives a message the "incoming avast scanned text" is inserted.  She forwards the message to you and it still has the "incoming avast scanned text" in it and that is what you see.

When she sends you a brand new message it has no avast text in it and your system is not adding any so you do not see it.

As DavidR has suggested, first update to the most recent program version of avast.

Then:

1) just check for sure that the port you have set for the POP3 account in Thunderbird is 110

2) on the Internet mail provider in avast click on customize.

3) on the POP tab make sure "Scan inbound mail" is checked

4) on the Redirect tab make sure port 110 shows in the "POP:" box

5) on the Advanced tab check the "Show detailed info on performed action" box. 

6) click on "OK"

Item (5) will cause avast to show a little popup window above the systray as you receive your Thunderbird mail - if it is scanning the mail - with the subject of the email being scanned.   

Let us know how it goes.

Just by the way, have you recently installed any email spam filter or perhaps some kind of network accelerator software?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 05:08:48 AM by alanrf »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 12:45:03 PM »
Tech, xpjohn said above that he does not have his gmail delivered to his Thunderbird client - so gmail is not an issue.

I dont have my gmail go to my thunderbird account.

:-[
I lost the don't... I miss the '  :)

xpjohn

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 01:49:17 AM »
Thanks for replying guys. I been away for a couple of days so sorry about the delay.

I am still getting the problem. I have sent myself emails both in plain text and html and all that I send myself have the outgoing and incoming messages on them.
I have had my friend send me emails text and html and no messages. However when I check it out, in the on access scanner, it shows that the email was in fact, scanned.
However when she forwards mail it always has the messages. mostly has 3 messages. first one is her incoming clean message and secondly the outgoing clean message when she forwards it on to me and thirdly my own incoming clean message. she has done this while we are both online. So we send emails back and forth to check it out.
I have observed emails she sends me (not only forwarded ones) with any kind of attachment, pictures for instance, do have the outgoing and incoming messages on the email when I receive it. even if its only a smiley face or something simple I then get the messages.
She gets all my messages with my outgoing mail clean on them regardless if they are text or html.
Same with gmail, I sent myself an email from gmail and inserted a picture in the email and sure enough incoming clean message was there. but not when I just send a message with no attachments.

I have checked all the things suggested here and all seems okay. POP port is 110 SMTP port 25
I dont quite understand when you say I am suposed to see a scanned message in the headers of my emails to the effect they have been scanned. Where does this appear, in the email itself of somewhere else.

Software version is 4.6.731.  In the meantime if anyone can think of anything I should try, please let me know
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:06:03 AM by xpjohn »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:41:10 AM »
In Thunderbird just select a message, from the top menu select "View" and then in the dropdown menu select "View message source"

It will open up a window with the source lines of the email.  Somewhere in there you should see two lines like:

X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0546-0, 11/14/2005), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 06:13:00 AM by alanrf »

xpjohn

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »
Thanks have done that and it shows that the message was scanned, in fact the messages actually appear there just like they should in the email but they are still not showing up in the emails.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 08:14:12 AM »
xpjohn

please just allow me to ask for your confirmation.

You are reporting that you are seeing emails in Thunderbird that contain the:

X-Antivirus: headers but they do not contain the related antivirus scanned/clean texts when that is the option you have requested. 

Is that correct?

Your last post could be misunderstood to say that the whole email is not showing up.  I just want to be clear what you see.  A message missing the "scanned text" you have selected or the message not appearing at all. 

Please make it clear for us. 

Thanks,

Alan

xpjohn

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 09:03:56 PM »
Sorry Alan I didn't make it very clear.
I did what you suggested to see if the emails were actually being scanned and it shows the inbound and outbound messages in that window also the contents of the email text.
But when I open the email properly, the body contents of the email is there but the messages for the virus scan dont show up in the email.
Simply, I am getting everything in the email except for the messages at the bottom "inbound" or "outbound" clean.
Hope this makes it clearer.

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 09:51:42 PM »
I had this problem when I've used my personal digital certificate. All signed messages were prevented from any changes, so I think avast was unable to insert anything into the message. the same was with incoming digitally signed messages...