Author Topic: GrimeFighter is now Avast Cleanup  (Read 18225 times)

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
GrimeFighter is now Avast Cleanup
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:54:28 PM »
Hi Everyone,

We are really excited to announce that we released a major upgrade for GrimeFighter today.  It's now called Avast Cleanup.  It's way more than just a name change though.

We heard a lot of feedback about the product over the last several months and some of it was tough, but necessary to hear.  We've taken all of that into consideration and tried to reflect that in the new product.

Details:

-The cleaning engine no longer relies on Linux.  It runs completely in Windows.  It means we will avoid those issues with booting into Linux and other incompatibilities that users had before.  It's just a lot more comfortable for users without any need for booting/rebooting outside of Windows

-The engine picks up more issues than before and it does the cleaning significantly faster. What once took on average 1 hour + can now be done in minutes or even seconds.

-There is much more upfront information about what we found.  Even users who aren't licensed can see details about the issues/junk we've detected.  This was a common piece of feedback we received.

-We added a few nice new tools.  You are able to defrag the registry and also get a snapshot of system status.  Cleanup also checks whenever you update or remove a program to see if there are any leftover unnecessary files (there often are).  Cleanup shows you what has been left and allows you to customize what you want to remove

All currently licensed GrimeFighter users are now licensed for Cleanup.  Please give it a try and let us know what you think.  We hope you will be very happy with the new version :-)

And finally, for those wondering what happened to the minion characters....well, they've moved on to other projects that we can't quite reveal at the moment ;-)

The Avast Cleanup team

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: GrimeFighter is now Avast Cleanup
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
I believe it would be a good idea to post a "tutorial" on how to remove GrimeFighter and install avast Cleanup.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
Hi Eddy,

There is no need to remove GrimeFighter.  When users upgrade to the latest build GrimeFighter is replaced by Cleanup.  So, when users go to Scan --> Scan for Performance issues they see Cleanup now instead of GrimeFighter.  Easy as that :-)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »
That is sounds good.
At least people can know it now and we can tell them if they ask about it.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 02:32:46 PM »
I've just bought a license for GrimeFighter, but now that Avast has updated it to CleanUp my license won't activate and it now wants me to take out a new CleanUp license. Is there a way I can go back to GrimeFighter? Help!!

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »
You should be able to insert the license in avas CleanUp somewhere.

Offline lilninjabullfrog

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »
I've had Grimefighter for quite a while and it worked at first and then stopped working completely. I just updated my Avast and the new cleanup updated with it. Grime fighter became cleanup and there was no issues it just sweetly transitioned from a non working Grime Fighter to a superbly operating Cleanup. I didn't have to do anything except to start running my first scan. The scan took all of a minute or so compared to the old just wait forever time frame. That was the first thing i noticed. Once the scan was complete I ran the cleanup and I didn't  time it because  I expected the 30 minute to 2 hours time frame. It was complete a minute or so. I immediately thought it was not gonna work like the issues I had with Grime Fighter, but I looked into it and it worked like a charm!
I am extremely excited to have it working at all and with as fast as it is now I'm ecstatic,
I emphatically recommend the new cleanup, I am completely satisfies with this program. My PC is running so much better and knowing that whenever I run the program it will only take a short time is really assuring to me. It even does more than the original, defragments the registry and it also will let you know what is wrong with it since the old version didn't. So if you want to fix the issue yourself you can do so or at least you know what it is doing to  cleanup and optimize your system. USE CLEANUP!
Normally I wouldn't recommend much  but with the new operational performance I really do recommend the new cleanup as  it's awesome!

Offline Endt

• Avast team
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Hello robert406,

both, license for Grimefighter and Cleanup, are compatible. I recommend updating Avast to the latest version, if you haven't done it already, you can find it via Settings -> Update -> Program.

After updating to latest program version, visit menu Settings -> Subscription, where you can enter your Activation code, or login through My avast. Cleanup could be run through the menu Scan -> Scan for performance issues.

Cheers,
B.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 12:32:06 PM »
I have managed to get CleanUp activated and working now. The license did not activate automatically, and when I clicked the "click to activate" that didn't work. I also had the license attached to the email confirmation and that wouldn't work either. The last method was to type in the licence code that I found somewhere buried away in the settings menu and this did work.

I believe the issue was just bad luck with the timing. I purchased the GrimeFighter licence but before activating it I updated Avast so I'd have the up to date version, but this update also changed it to CleanUp. There must have been some lag somewhere on Avast's servers.

CleanUp has worked and removed a bunch of things that have accumulated on my PC over the years and though not running perfectly, it is running better, so hopefully the £15 has postponed the purchase of a new PC, at least for a while. Whole process took about 10 minutes.

However, not impressed by the customer support. When I called them the chap was more interested in wanting to get remote access to my PC, when I explained (again!) that it was just an issue with the license activition and not an issue with my PC he hung up on me mid-sentence!!

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
However, not impressed by the customer support. When I called them the chap was more interested in wanting to get remote access to my PC, when I explained (again!) that it was just an issue with the license activition and not an issue with my PC he hung up on me mid-sentence!!
Report your experience to Vojta Nekvapil: nekvapil[at]avast.com (3rd Party Support Manager)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 08:32:00 PM »
Hello, Jumpshot Kickstarter backer here.

Cleanup, ex-Grimefighter, is not free anymore, and my Jumpshot seems to be on constant maintenance (not to say dead, the links aren't even up to date and link to Avast's new Jumpshot marketing tool). What of my lifetime licence?

Edit: I also deeply miss the minions and Jumpshot's line of communication. I guess David and Pedram have no choice but to follow Avast's own line, but it makes me quite sad. Hope the money was necessary to keep your awesome product, if not your company, alive.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 08:52:13 PM by Okojo »

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 01:53:46 PM »
The name may have changed, but the program remains the same.

Offline Davidek

• Avast team
  • Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Hi Brandon,

That is not the case at all actually.  Have you tried it?  Please do, it's quite different in many ways as outlined in the opening post.

If it isn't working somehow, I would be glad to hear details and get you in touch with our Support team.

Many thanks,

Davidek

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
i also have problem to activate cleanup. i cannot. please fix it.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 09:08:14 AM »
i also have problem to activate cleanup. i cannot. please fix it.
Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB205
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0