Author Topic: ZoneAlarm (free) not recognizing Avast (Free)  (Read 3884 times)

Chankama

ZoneAlarm (free) not recognizing Avast (Free)
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:49:28 AM »
Hi guys.

I installed both programs (ZoneAlarm, Avast in that order) and both seem to be working fine. There was this one error by Avast that said something about how one feature needs to be disabled when using with ZA6 and that Avast and Zone Labs are working on the problem together. Forgot the exact message. But Avast disabled a feature within it to accomodate ZA.. Is this expected behaviour?

In anycase, within ZoneAlarm, it doesn't recognize Avast as a anti-virus s/w application. Under the [Anti-Virus monitoring] tab. Anyone have this problem?

I posted this message here instead of Zone Labs since pretty much everone uses ZoneAlarm as a firewall and the Avast/ZA combo might be more common here than in their forum. Thanks guys! :)

btw, I am so far very impressed with Avast. Looks good so far. There was one instance where it threw a temper tantrum like a little kid when it couldn't access the internet for an update. lol

AvastForever

Re: ZoneAlarm (free) not recognizing Avast (Free)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 08:26:25 AM »
This been talk about. Zonealarm only detects Antivirus that they sign agreement with. Like Norton, Macfee, and so on. As sad as it may be ZoneAlarm does not detect Avast 4.6 as a antivirus program. :'(. Maybe in future update with ZA it will. But for now, no. But dont worry, i dont really care what ZA saids you are still protected by Avast! my bro. It really sad to know that ZA wont work with Avast! which is the best Antivirus in the market. Better than Norton, Macfee and other top antivirus. Avast! Rules!! :D. So like ZA. :P

And im been using ZA6 with Avast 4.6 for a long time and there's not been a error about one feature being disable in order for ZA6 to work. So that error you said you had, well for me it didnt happend to me.

Are you going to Use Avast! for life as your antivirus program? ;D

And Welcome to Avast forum.  ;D

If you have anymore questions post it and we try our best to answer it.

Cya :)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 08:34:01 AM by AvastForever »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 08:55:21 AM »
If you are using the ZoneAlarm free version there is no need to disable anything in ZoneAlarm.

Ignore the fact that ZoneAlarm does not detect avast as an antivirus, it is of no importance.  Zonelabs just wants you to purchase their antivirus offering.

AvastForever

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:57:09 AM »
If you are using the ZoneAlarm free version there is no need to disable anything in ZoneAlarm.

Ignore the fact that ZoneAlarm does not detect avast as an antivirus, it is of no importance.  Zonelabs just wants you to purchase their antivirus offering.

Yup so that you feel that you safe, and they get some $$$

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 04:17:58 PM »
http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html

If you are using ZoneAlarm Free you should click NO, because privacy features are not present in ZoneAlarm Free this will not turn off webshield transparent mode proxy.

If you selected YES, that may need to be corrected.
Use a text editor and edit the avast4.ini file, the default installation location is C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini (I would advise you copy avast4.ini before editing it, just in case).
Locate the line containing ZoneAlarmCompatibility= and delete that line.  Save the edited avast4.ini file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Chankama

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 10:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. I'll fix up the .ini file as David suggested. :)

Are you going to Use Avast! for life as your antivirus program? ;D

And Welcome to Avast forum.  ;D

It looks pretty good man.. More so than the protection I love the little spinning ball that goes crazy whenever I touch a file. LoL!. I was using Norton corporate edition before (campus network). But after using Avast, I am definitely gonna switch.

Thx for the welcome bro. :)..