Author Topic: Avast saved me from Panda!  (Read 3321 times)

katy98

Avast saved me from Panda!
« on: December 02, 2005, 04:28:47 AM »
Hi All,
      I had such a great experience with Avast tonight I had to report it.  I did an online scan with Panda software, they sent email about their version of TruPrevent and during their scan, Avast on-access protection stopped a virus it detected called Win32:CTX during the download of the ActiveX control.  I 'closed connection' and that stopped the Panda online scan process.  3 times I tried this, with an online scan in between using Trend Micro (which did not abort due to anything and Trend Micro found no viruses, no trojans, etc.)  Avast stopped whatever Panda wanted to install on my computer.  I wonder if that is part of their 'demo' to put down a virus just to detect it but I could not swear by it.  I am just thankful I have Avast!!!
           I know I should know this already, but if there is a purchaseable version or where I may give a donation for it's continuation, I would be a contributor.  Avast scanned my PC also last night with no viruses, etc. found.
          Thanks Avast!!!!  :D

galooma

Re: Avast saved me from Panda!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 04:46:04 AM »
Hi and welcome ,
This is high praise but a little undeserved unfortunately.
Because Panda dont encrypt their definition files they require that you disable your resident (Avast!) first while their program downloads and runs. So when you finish there you must either delete the definition file or exclude it from scanning otherwise you will get unnessesary detections.
If you still wish to contribute to Avast you may buy or upgrade simply by hitting the blue ball and follow the link to upgrade to professional version.
hope to see you around  :)

katy98

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »
Thanks Cloussau for reply...........
You replied......" This is high praise but a little undeserved unfortunately.
Because Panda dont encrypt their definition files they require that you disable your resident (Avast!) first while their program downloads and runs. So when you finish there you must either delete the definition file or exclude it from scanning otherwise you will get unnessesary detections."

I don't quite understand why Panda's policy not to encrypt their definition files would cause the Avast alert of a virus called Win32:CTX.  Doesn't the Avast on-access protection just notify us of viruses, regardless of encryption policies of downloads?  and I wasn't even downloading the definitions at that point.  According to the process, Panda was installing the ActiveX controls, there was no online mention of definitions being downloaded.  There was no request by Panda to 'disable my Avast' first.  I feel confident that I don't have a virus since the Avast message stated it was halted prior to install. 
         My Avast was not disabled at the point that Avast detected the attempt of the Win32:CTX virus; I do so wonder what is going on with online virus scans though.  It seems that from time to time, Avast will detect an attempted 'install of a virus' prior to the online scan.  I don't know who or what to believe anymore :(  I am so exhausted sometimes, just performing simple safety measures.
          Thanks for your reply........ katy

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 05:22:04 AM »
 :)  Hi Katy :

There has been quite a few posts about "Win32:CTX" ;
     have you used this forum's "search" feature to read
     what has been said !?
     And did you ever replace your Spysweeper- generated
     Hosts File with the one from MVPS. org !?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 04:01:41 PM »
As the file is unencrypted by Panda, Avast reads the activex download as containing a virus when in fact it is just a definition of that virus for use by Panda in its scan.  It is not an actual virus. Encrypted files cannot be scanned by ANY antivirus for various reasons, however to run it must be unencrypted this is when standard shield will intercept the virus.  I hope this makes it a bit clearer