Author Topic: problem to start the avast antivirus  (Read 11412 times)

yasrt

problem to start the avast antivirus
« on: November 13, 2005, 11:56:00 PM »
I had few day ago virus on file C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\svcnet and I delete it .
from this time when I right click on the AVAST and "start avast antivirus" I receive for few seconds only the gray windows but the application don't open.

I have xp 64 and avast home edition

Can you help me ? (sorry for my English..)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: problem to start the avast antivirus
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:59 AM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.

Not sure how this would effect xp64 bit OS, by all accounts the svcnet (.exe) is from the w32.ticbik worm (it may well have been detected under a different name by avast), but it may be worth checking if any of the other registry entries, etc. have been created.
W32.Tibick is worm info
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

yasrt

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 07:00:32 AM »
I tried all of this (repair, uninstall,install, ) and I am still in the same point  I also look for the registry change according to Semantic report but I don't have this values in my registry (maybe because it 64 version) do you have any idea ?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »
The values mentioned in the linked article wouldn't cause the problems you describe...

What exactly do you mean by "gray windows"?
If you manually start e.g. ashSimp2.exe from the avast! installation folder - does anything happen?
Can you open the On-Access control panel (leftclick on the avast! tray icon)?

yasrt

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:47:14 PM »
1. The "gray window" is the windows with the LOGO and with the message about stating to check memory , appear for short time on the middle of the screen

2. I will try it few hours latter when I will be near this PC

3. Yes, I can open the On-Access control panel, and all of this part of the AVAST is looked working

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:44:03 PM »
The "gray window" is the windows with the LOGO and with the message about stating to check memory , appear for short time on the middle of the screen
This is the splash screen. You'll see if you run ashavast.exe in the avast folder. It's ok.
The problem is that after loading it, the main window should appear (ashSimple.exe for Home version and ashEnhcd.exe for the Pro version).
Did you try manually starting ashSimp2.exe ?
The best things in life are free.

yasrt

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 06:31:33 PM »
Yes I tried it now and it is work in this way

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 09:53:59 AM »
So, you can start ashSimp2.exe and ashSimpl.exe and the scanner window appears correctly; just if you run ashAvast.exe, nothing happens after the memory check is done?
If you disable the memory scan in program settings - does it help?

yasrt

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 08:03:18 PM »
You are correct, I tried to disable the memory scan and than I succeed to open the simple user interface

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 08:25:18 PM »
If the memory scan is enabled - do you think it makes it till the end? I.e. does the window say something like "Memory scan finished - starting the main program" and then disappear, or does it disappear before that, in the middle of the memory scan?
Or, does it actually show any progress at all - maybe it doesn't even start the scan?

I'm trying to find out if it possibly crashes in the middle of the memory scan, possibly when scanning a specific item...
Is there anything in avast! log? (rightclick on the avast! tray icon, select Log Viewer and check the error categories)

One more thing - please try the following:
- on the first page of the program settings, check the option "Show results of Explorer Extension"
- now perform the following command in avast installation folder:
ashQuick.exe *STRT-MEM-SHORT
The quick scanner should appear and perform a scan equivalent to the one from the splash screen. Does the final statistics show correctly, or does it disappear as well?

Thanks!

yasrt

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 09:59:44 PM »
I see the message "wait, please. testing operating memory and start up item..." and it disapeare after few seconds.

The error log is empty but the following lines appeared in the info log when I try to start the AVAST:
aswSplash - program run information: CaswAvastDlg::OnTimer() - Test memory started.. 
aswSplash - program run information: CaswAvastDlg::OnInitDialog() - timer is active.

About the command line - I did it and I saw the quick scanner screen, number of tested files: 0 , Tested files: initializing engine, please wait.. and after few seconds I receive Error message "scan was completed with error, The system cannot find path specified"

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 10:25:52 PM »
That's a mystery... I'll check the code tomorrow, but it's really strange.
Do you have the final build of WinXP x64, or is it possibly a beta?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 10:27:30 PM »
Better testing:
<path>\ashQuick.exe "*STRT-MEM-SHORT"

Notice: the quotes...
The best things in life are free.

yasrt

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »
Igor
I have the professional XP 64 bit edition, service pack1 with the last update - it is not BETA !

Tech,
I tried the new test and I saw the windows for few seconds till it disappeared. but I don't see the error windows

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 10:47:47 AM »
OK, my fault - the *STRT-MEM-SHORT argument should really be enclosed in quotes.
You say that in that case, the windows disappeared in a few seconds as well - is the option "Show results of Explorer Extension" really checked in program settings?