Author Topic: Mouse lost and computer freeze after latest update 4.6.731  (Read 45671 times)

surfseek

Re: Mouse lost and computer freeze after latest update 4.6.731
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 12:43:15 AM »

If you are able to get a copy of the mouse driver, you could save it on your HDD and when asked for a location of the driver, browse/point to its location on the HDD.

How do I get a copy of my mouse driver?. I don't know how to do this.

I have disabled KB........ at start up. So far I have not had another freeze when updating Avast. I will see how this goes. I am a little nervous of not having this critical update running. I am pretty cautious re surfing etc so I will leave it disabled and see how it goes over next couple of days.

What is it about Version Avast 4.6.731 that possibly conflicts with this update? I say this because it is the only thing possibly conflicting.

I have read the FAQ and vulnerability section of the link you sent me but I am not really sure I have understood it to be honest and how it would affect me if I don't have it installed.

Thanks for ALL your help

As ever

Surfseek

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 02:08:36 AM »
How do I get a copy of my mouse driver?. I don't know how to do this.
Use Comentário WinDriversBackup 1.0 (http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck1.exe) to make backups of all your drivers.

What is it about Version Avast 4.6.731 that possibly conflicts with this update? I say this because it is the only thing possibly conflicting.
I (and all others) don't have a conflict with any Microsoft updates... Maybe the driver for your specific mouse... but I won't talk that there is a conflict, well, just in your case, not for all ones.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 02:34:49 AM »
To get a driver for your mouse, you need to go to the manufactures web site of your mouse and see if they do driver updates (they really should), you will obviously need to know the mouse model and get the latest driver for it.

I have seen many MS patches and security updates have an adverse effect after installation and when you are talking about a patch that supports older OSes like win98 and winME and the later w2k, xp and win2003 server, I personally can't see how one size fits all. There are huge numbers of permutations out there when you are talking about OSes, hardware, drivers, etc. that on occasion when several things coincide a clash can happen. You may also find it difficult to find drivers for your mouse because it is for the win98 OS.

As I said I can't make the decision for you. Your OS is already very long in the tooth and poorly supported (should read not supported) by MS even when it comes to security updates. Because you are running win98, you can't run the latest version of IE6 so these thing already make you somewhat more vulnerable.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spiritsongs

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 09:32:08 PM »
 :) When Ewido was found to be incompatible with your Win 98
     someone should have recommended its "counterpart"
     namely A-squared. The FREE ver of this program is
     compatible with Win 98 and you can find it at :
     www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free .
     Concerning Trojanscan : did you see the following :
   "My computer keeps showing that your database hasn’t been updated for a long time. I found out that the scanner was being updated regularly. So how come the free online scanner on my computer cannot update? What can I do to correct this?

What you have to do is find the ActiveX component on your computer and delete it so the newest version of the TrojanScanner can be downloaded on your computer. The program gets downloaded in C:\temp\tdecntrl. To refresh it what you have to do is close Internet Explorer and delete the directory. Then reopen Internet Explorer and return to http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/ and you should be asked if you want to download the newest scanner. "

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »
Surfseek

The version of KB891711 that you have installed is the first release. There was a problem with it, much like you are experiencing. MS released a new version in April, it resolves the freezing issue and also KB891711 will not so up as a running process any longer. However it will appear in the Startup tab (msconfig). If you uninstall the earlier version and down load and install the new one you should be alright.

info about the two versions  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891711

you can get the new version here (click on windows update catalog if update doesn't give it to you)   http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

As for your mouse driver. On your desk top, there should be an icon for quick restore or compaq utilities or something like that. The same icon you use to do a system save. Click  "selective " , click mose drivers.

(We have almost identical systems, it's just that I've done a factory restore after the Compaq site went down and can't get the download to put the exact icon on my destop(had to make my own short cut))

I don't think you have a mouse problem, and as someone else mentioned, leave it alone.

Luck to you

surfseek

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2005, 10:55:19 AM »
Surfseek

The version of KB891711 that you have installed is the first release. There was a problem with it, much like you are experiencing. MS released a new version in April, it resolves the freezing issue and also KB891711 will not so up as a running process any longer. However it will appear in the Startup tab (msconfig). If you uninstall the earlier version and down load and install the new one you should be alright.

Hi there,
Thanks for this. I did do a check of my Windows update installations and apparently I did do another download of the second version in April 05. Because of the problems I am having I un-installed KB891711. I thought temporarily this had sorted the problems with Avastupdates but sad to say it hasn't. I have since re-installed it which I presume will be the second version.I did all of this in Safe Mode.

As for your mouse driver. On your desk top, there should be an icon for quick restore or compaq utilities or something like that. The same icon you use to do a system save. Click  "selective " , click mouse drivers. .

Yes!!!, I thought I could do it through Compaq but I couldn't remember how. I am glad to have this info. Thank you. I did download and install the Driverguide Toolkit as suggested in an earlier post but for some reason my computer does not like it.

I know my computer is a bit long in the tooth but I would like if possible to resolve this issue with Avast updates in the 4.6.731 version. I have tried everything suggested thus far but the problem remains, albeit erratic

surfseek

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2005, 10:58:16 AM »
Surfseek

Hi there,
Thanks for this. I did do a check of my Windows update installations and apparently I did do another download of the second version in April 05. Because of the problems I am having I un-installed KB891711. I thought temporarily this had sorted the problems with Avastupdates but sad to say it hasn't. I have since re-installed it which I presume will be the second version.I did all of this in Safe Mode.

As for your mouse driver. On your desk top, there should be an icon for quick restore or compaq utilities or something like that. The same icon you use to do a system save. Click  "selective " , click mouse drivers. .

Yes!!!, I thought I could do it through Compaq but I couldn't remember how. I am glad to have this info. Thank you. I did download and install the Driverguide Toolkit as suggested in an earlier post but for some reason my computer does not like it.

I know my computer is a bit long in the tooth but I would like if possible to resolve this issue with Avast updates in the 4.6.731 version. I have tried everything suggested thus far but the problem remains, albeit erratic

Spiritsongs

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2005, 11:04:04 AM »
 :) I came across someone having mouse ( & keyboard )
     problems on another forum and the Microsoft Most
     Valuable Professional referred then to :

http://Http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2005, 11:07:07 AM »
[quote author=surfseek

Hi there,

You can tell which version you are using, if kb891711 shows up when you bring up "close program" (control-alt-delte) then you have the first one. If it dosen't you have the second. Also check start-run-(type "msconfig" without the quotes) start up tab. kb891711 should be there. There may be two enteries. Only one needs to be checked. If one is checked and you DO NOT have it listed in the close program box, then you should be able to safely rule out kb891711 as your problem.

surfseek

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2005, 11:36:39 AM »
[quote author=surfseek

You can tell which version you are using, if kb891711 shows up when you bring up "close program" (control-alt-delte) then you have the first one. If it dosen't you have the second. Also check start-run-(type "msconfig" without the quotes) start up tab. kb891711 should be there. There may be two enteries. Only one needs to be checked. If one is checked and you DO NOT have it listed in the close program box, then you should be able to safely rule out kb891711 as your problem.

Absolutely bang on. I do have the second version of KB891711. Yes, I am looking to agree that I don't think this is the problem now, either. Since my last post I have re-installed my mouse driver. I am going to check the Avast updates now and see what happens.

surfseek

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2005, 11:44:22 AM »
Use Comentário WinDriversBackup 1.0 (http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck1.exe) to make backups of all your drivers.

Thanks for this. I have now managed to get this to work at least enough to save a copy of the mouse driver onto the hard drive. I don't seem to be able to go any further with this though re updating driver.Is this because it is only the evaluation version?

I have since discovered also, through another very helpful post that Compaq have a selective restore facility also, so if in the event I try to update my driver (if absolutely everthing else fails) after having just re-installed my previous mouse driver then I now have two back ups!

Thanks for you help

Surfseek

surfseek

« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2005, 11:46:42 AM »
:) I came across someone having mouse ( & keyboard )
     problems on another forum and the Microsoft Most
     Valuable Professional referred then to :

Http://aumha.org/a/health.htm

Thanks for this, I will check it out

Surfseek

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2005, 11:56:13 AM »
Please post back any results. As you can see, I haven't updated yet and would like to see what 's in store for me. ;)

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2005, 12:22:56 PM »
In regards to your betterinternet registry entery you might try this from a post I found elsewhere:

Re: VX2.betterinternet and Bundleware Infestations on the Rise (Score: 1)
by jantree on Monday, May 24 @ 19:10:27 PDT
(User Info | Send a Message) 
Try the following link to download an uninstaller for the vx2.betterinternet trojan. It is also known as Look2Me. I emailed the company and demanded they tell me how to remove it. Their email in quotes below included the link. I downloaded it, ran it, and it deleted this horrible bug. Good Luck.

"Hello,

The UnInstaller for the Look2Me application can be found at:

http://www.look2me.com/cgi-bin/UnInstaller

This uninstaller seemed to work for the poster.

More info here  http://www.scanspyware.net/info/VX2.BetterInternet.htm

This may be what, if anything is "phoning home"

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »
Do you trust a spyware company to uninstall their spyware?

Personally, about as far as I could spit a rat!

Removal tools here:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17158.msg146018#msg146018
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog