Author Topic: Avast (2015.10.2.2214) Prevents GPU idle, causes higher temperates / usage.  (Read 5937 times)

REDACTED

I was recommended in a previous thread to start a topic about this :)

Just updated to newest version of avast and along with the new GUI processes (two AvastUI.exe's) my GPU now cannot idle, which causes higher temperatures.
I have confirmed it is avast causing this by disabling avast in safe mode then booting with everything on, except avast. Rolling back to previous versions of avast did fix this problem, although it's not wise to be using old versions for too long obviously....

I custom built this pc so I have everything tweaked exactly the way I want / need (Windows and GPU settings wise)

CPU: FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970
MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
RAM: 8 GB GSkill Ares @ 1866
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Idle temps / core clock of GPU were always ~20c and 135mhz

After updating (with a clean install) of avast, my GPU at idle will not clock any lower than 1039mhz and idle temps are now ~35c.

A main focus of my PC build is keeping it cool. While these are still acceptable numbers, why should I let any program, let alone my anti virus prevent my system from reaching its max idle state?  :(

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:31:25 AM by mrdvf13 »

Offline doodah70

Using GPU-Z I've notice a spike every 30 seconds. It shoots to the maximum GPU Core Clock and GPU Memory Clock for a moment. I've got a GT 720 which runs at only 8x and in a tiny SFF case. Playing a HD video only uses 135MHz Core Clock 202.5MHz Memory Clock. I don't see why shooting up to 796.9 and 450 correspondingly is necessary. On a side note. Check to see that your browser isn't using maxed out Core Clock all the time. Mine was and I had to disable hardware acceleration in my browser and use the default settings instead of HTML5 Video Player on youtube. That's how I discovered this little quirk with AvastUI.exe. Killing the process stops the spikes. The newest 2015.10.2.2218 doesn't change a thing.

REDACTED

I have exactly this same issue. I have a Zotac 970 GTX and after playing any game and exiting to windows my GPU has issues idling. Here is a screenshot of MSI Afterburner reporting the clock spikes: http://s1.postimg.org/bpxdmjv0t/gpuclockspike.png

As you can see it spikes every 30 seconds just like doodah70 said. After killing avastui.exe the spikes stopped completely.

Is there any solution to this yet?

REDACTED

still no update on this ?i am having the same problem.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
This has been fixed a while ago, which version are you using..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

fully updated doing a reinstall to see if it helps

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
The question is still open.
What exact version are you using ?
What OS/SP ?
Any other security (related) software installed ? (or did you)

REDACTED

windows 7 sp1 updated fully with windows update.
no other security programs
avast was version 2015.10.3.2223 and the one before

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
If you want to do a clean installation, also use the removal tool not only removing through control panel.

REDACTED

This has been fixed a while ago, which version are you using..?
what was causing it and fixed how?
clean install of avast using the tool has not fixed it.i dont want to replace avast but it looks like my only option.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
It was fixed in build 10.2.2215 (released in March 2015).
If you still face this problem, submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Interesting, I didn't have this issue at all with GTX 980... And I still don't.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog