Author Topic: Upgrading Free edition from 691 to 731  (Read 3500 times)

Offline barryfs

Upgrading Free edition from 691 to 731
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:58:13 PM »
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I haven't managed to find it, so I will ask it again.

I have a very slow dial-up connection at home, where Avast Free edition is installed.
I have noticed that a full download of 731 is over 9MB, which would take ages for me to achieve.
Does an update of the program still need to download the whole file, or does it just download the 'updated' bits??
If so how big would the downloaded file be ??

The other alternative for me is to download the whole thing on a different PC, which has a broadband connection, then copy the downloaded file onto my PC.
If I were to take this approach do I need to remove 691 first, or would the new install recognise it was there and sort everything out for me ??

Many thanks
Bazza

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Upgrading Free edition from 691 to 731
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 03:04:09 PM »
The program update really downloads just the "updated parts". I think it's about 1MB for 691-->731.

You don't have to uninstall avast! even if using the full installer; when started, it will detect the existing installation and offer you to update it.

Spyros

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:04:22 PM »
Download it from another PC with a fast connection & then install it over the older version.
Upgrading it with dial-up won't as big as downloading it from the start, but still, it will take some minutes (depending if you download home or Pro version).

Edit: Whoops, Igor beat me on this one by 13 seconds  ;D
« Last Edit: November 14, 2005, 03:06:19 PM by Spyros »

Offline barryfs

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »
Many thanks to you both.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 03:26:28 PM »
Actually, the difference between Home and Pro in the update size will be negligible.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 05:48:38 PM »
The other alternative for me is to download the whole thing on a different PC, which has a broadband connection, then copy the downloaded file onto my PC.
I'll suggest this. Set the program update to ASK and then download it (when available) in the other computer.
Let the database (VPS) updates on AUTOMATIC.

If I were to take this approach do I need to remove 691 first, or would the new install recognise it was there and sort everything out for me ??
No need for there... just run the downloaded setup over the 691 installation  8)
The best things in life are free.