Author Topic: Unable to start Computer: Virus'  (Read 17775 times)

REDACTED

Re: Unable to start Computer: Virus'
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
A few things happened. I am now able to start the computer in Safe Mode with Command prompt. Ver slow but it gets there after an hour or two.

I also managed to give commands for Devise Manager and Control Panel.

I don't know what I did, playing around, but at one stage all my Desktop icons appeared and even the bottom line where the Start button is. With the Start button I could among other things open Explorer and the Run box.

Un fortunately I cannot replicate it past the Control Panel. Is there a dos command to refresh the Desktop?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:47:32 AM by qim »

REDACTED

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »
Hi

I'm losing hope and tried to get into the Recovery option through F4, which I believe reformats the disk and places the OS back into the disk.

I get the message "A disk read error ocurred. Press Ctrl-Alt_Del to restart"

Could this indicate a disk failure and that I need to buy a new one?

Offline dbrisendine

• Malware Fighter
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
DOS command to refresh / load the desktop would be C:\Windows\explorer.exe .

However you have beat me to the punch, so to speak.  I was researching for a way to see about testing the hard drive since it seems that it is working so slowly (RW head servo can do that) but the disk error during the format pretty much nails it to a failing hard drive.

If you try that again and it gives you the same error then it is the drive.  Sorry.
Win7 x32 Ult. SP1, Brain 2.0 / Win10 x64, Brain2.5
My help is always free but if you would like to help encourage me or show your thanks -----> DONATE