Author Topic: Huge Avast activity after each computer restart.  (Read 10835 times)

Offline alicia.rose

Re: Huge Avast activity after each computer restart.
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 12:41:31 AM »
Thanks for your comment and advice 'Para-Noid'.

I did previously raise this issue as a separate thread and was advised it was normal scanning activity.....but it's impacting too much on my system and it's not the type of intense and prolonged scanning activity I've experienced in the past with Avast or any other antivirus (that has not been pre-set).

I just copied the thread beginner's quote below originally and said that I was experiencing the same:

Quote from: a.k-ittechnician on July 24, 2015, 02:28:12 PM

"After every restart i can see very big avast activity what impacts PC HDD to be in use by 100%. Its slows down all other process start and sometimes PC is unusable up to 5min regarding high usage of HDD.
    Seems to be AVAST performs quick scan with every restart how can i stop it?"

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 12:44:18 AM by alicia.rose »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »
It is probably the "NG" setting up virtual protection.
It happens to me but seems to stop fairly quickly.
avast does run a rootkit scan at around eight minutes after system startup.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 02:18:23 AM »
I hope to not muddy up this thread but I thought it might be helpful to let you all know that I ran the Windows upgrade from 8.1 to windows 10 64bit after encountering this problem on my HP 17-f023cl laptop.

Here is my hardware detail;
HD: Hitache Travelstar 5K1000|HGST Link to HD detail: https://www.hgst.com/products/hard-drives/travelstar-5k1000
RAM: 8 GIG
CPU AMD A10-5745M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.10 Ghz

I have found that if I immediately go into my services as Windows is starting and disable Avast, wait for the HD activity to drop to less than 5% (takes about 1 minute after disabling Avast service) and then I restart the Avast service, the performance issue goes away.

This work around worked for me in Windows 8.1 (patched current) and it works for me in Windows 10 (patched current).
I've been upgraded to Windows 10 for a little over a week now.
I also run this same version of Avast on my Windows 7 laptop that is about 5 years old and I do not get any of these performance related issues.

I would be happy to share any additional information with the group and/or support to resolve this issue as I would really hate to switch scanners after loving Avast for many, many years now.  8)

Offline a.k-ittechnician

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2015, 10:26:40 PM »
Ok time went ahead from the last time i wrote here, so now my machine is on windows 10 pro, i used to stop using avast for about half year and installed it back yesterday. So new OS newest version of Avast Internet Security and you know what the same problem still exist. After reload high activity of avast installer and avast antivirus for about 3-5min while every service is trying to start avast starts its activity on pc and HDD gets at max activity 100% what makes pc unusable until avast stops its scans on boot. Its pi..ing of sooooo much what i believe that after few more restarts ill go back to something else to protect my pc.  I use free version of avast business and have two pc's on this suit with no problems at all but its a different story :)

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
I'm using a low-end netbook, so I had to turn off Run rootkit scan on startup under Troubleshooting in Settings. I noticed a difference.

You should keep that option checked, though, if your computer can handle it. On my other computer, this feature stays on because that computer can handle more.

Offline a.k-ittechnician

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »
that's it i have gave up using avast internet security, 1: huge activity of avast services at machine start up, 2: issues with win 10 1511. I got to play with it on two machines but the last drop of my patience gone then i bought a new laptop laptop for my son win 10 1511 and installed avast internet security, son has reported me about several times machine has hanged up once screen turned off i think machine hanged up with screen of something with sleep or hibernation have no idea how avast can impact these things, so uninstalled avast installed Avira all works fine no more stupid issues no more long boot ups, no more avast incompatibility with third part drives. Just want to say AVAST IS was not friendly with my 3 win 10 1511 machines. As a customer i have no time to play with avast trying to find why avast is making troubles with the system i need pc security what i have installed and forget and its not pissing me off with all those issues.