Author Topic: ROM-0 conflict  (Read 4992 times)

REDACTED

ROM-0 conflict
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »
Hi all,

Newbie so please excuse the dumb questions.

I think I might have downloaded the Adobe Flash malware by accident on my android. Did try to cancel it as it started the download, but it said downloaded in the notification, even though I deleted it without opening. Anyway, I think it has gotten in via the home router - this router has been suffering from this ROM-0 vulnerability since last year (I'm in Italy) - thanks for Avast's wifi scan for picking it up. I read up, tried all the solutions (port forwarding to made-up ip address, setting DNS to google ones, changing all router and wifi passwords to extra safe ones.) I ran the ROM-0 test on the computer and it now says the router is safe. Ran malewarebytes, chameleon all came back clear. Ran it on the phone too, all clear.

But the Avast scan still shows the router as infected. Also says stuff like the passwords for the network and router are not safe - they are massive with every sort of character out there! They can't possibly be unsafe! Is there a reason why avast would be showing conflicting messages to everything else? Sorry, bit paranoid about these things.

Also, slightly off point, but it's my paranoia - I don't use the phone for any purchasing, bank accounts or anything, but I have done on the PC. Would the "flash"malware on the phone be able to read the stuff on my PC in the short time before I wiped the phone with a factory reset?

Many thanks for any advice and apologies again if this all sounds a bit silly :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: ROM-0 conflict
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:32:01 AM »
Flash the router with the original firmware from the manufacturer and see if avast still detects problems.

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
Hi, just to resurrect this thread as I am back in Italy with the same router and same problem. I installed the latest firmware (D-Link 2740R - v1.16) as suggested, done all the above things and re-ran the Avast scan. It's STILL coming back as detecting the rom-0 vulnerability. I am at a loss at what more I can do - I've tried everything I have read about. What is Avast scanning that nobody else is? Thanks for any help you can offer - I'm really reluctant to use the internet here with this hanging over me. (Incidentally, back home in England the scan runs fine no problems for the sky router.)

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 01:43:09 PM »
Thanks for the "supportive" tone of your reply, Jakub. I thought I had made it pretty clear in the posts that I am NOT particularly tech-savvy when it comes to these things and I was under the (mistaken?) impression that this avast forum was there to provide help and advice to those users who are less-in-the-know.

And the question here is exactly what?

Yes, my five year old used to have trouble with this too. The clue is to look for the sentence that ends in a question mark. A bit like this:
What is Avast scanning that nobody else is?
Or even
Is there a reason why avast would be showing conflicting messages to everything else?

I was wondering if there is a reason avast says one thing and rom-0.cz (which seems to be the go-to test site in every page I've read on this vulnerability, including avast's and d-link's own advice) says that the router is all-clear. Also checked with GRC's Shield's Up and all clear.

I'm not shooting any messengers; before I fork out on another new router, I just want to know, in lay man's terms if possible, why the "messengers" are telling me different things, if it's a known issue with avast/other tests or if there is anything I'm missing. Will the other measures I have taken nullify the apparently inherent vulnerability in this router? (just to be clear, I do not want to pretend I'm safe as was suggested, I want to be sure).   I think it's reasonable to ask about this first before simply throwing out another £50 or so on a new router?

Once again I apologise if this is too simplistic for some but I would genuinely want to know/understand. Many thanks.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 02:11:44 PM »
Submit a ticket to avast.
Mention the make/model of the router and firmware version as well as the name of your ISP if they issued the router.
Have them check if the detection is correct or not.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:21:49 PM »
Ok thank you, Eddy. Done.