Author Topic: I need an AV to block Avast unauthorised charges  (Read 6652 times)

Offline cr51tfr

I need an AV to block Avast unauthorised charges
« on: July 26, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »
I installed Avast AV protection on my phone to prevent viruses. In doing so the irony is that Avast have been using my phone to send international text messages to 00420720001669 which is a number for Avast. This has been costing me nearly £10 per month. I would like these charges to stop and I would like to be refunded for the charges.

Offline cr51tfr

Re: I need an AV to block Avast unauthorised charges
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:39:57 AM »
In the meantime can somebody explain how to stop the charges. I have reported it to my provider who are investigating it and have barred the number. I just want to be sure, how can I change the settings to prevent Avast sending any more international text messages on my phone?

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
Hello and welcome to the Forum! :)

Open Avast Mobile Security --> Anti-Theft --> avast! Account --> uncheck Send SMS to Portal

DJBone
Win10 x64, AIS 19.8.2393
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

Offline cr51tfr

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »
Thanks DJ Bone

I have gone through the steps you mentioned, thanks for the advice. How do I thank you on the board?

From quick research i think the problem was caused by a bug. How do I contact Avast to seek compensation as I am about £40 out of pocket?

Offline cr51tfr

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:17:25 PM »
I changed my SIM in April. It looks like I have been charged an international SMS every day since changing the SIM card.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:19:42 PM »
I changed my SIM in April. It looks like I have been charged an international SMS every day since changing the SIM card.
-> http://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB135#artTitle (Changing a SIM card)
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 20.1.2396.Beta#3 [UI.457] - CC 5.63 - EEK - Firefox ESR 68.5 [NS/AOS/uBO/PB] - TB 68.5 - ASB/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline cr51tfr

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
A layman would not think to check the T&C's of every single App on his phone when changing his sim card. I have to admit I didn't think when I changed my SIM that "hang on I must read Avast T&C's in case they want to send premium rate text messages from my phone every day". This was not made clear to me.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »
Feel free to submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit
Win 8.1 [x64] - Avast PremSec 20.1.2396.Beta#3 [UI.457] - CC 5.63 - EEK - Firefox ESR 68.5 [NS/AOS/uBO/PB] - TB 68.5 - ASB/ASL.BC
Deutschsprachiger Bereich -> Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline tommiepho

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 05:02:29 AM »
They did the same to me. These guys are robbing us of lots of money. £0.30 per message? This is stealing. Will never use any product from Avast. Really pissed off that I am paying such an exorbitant bill because of these crooks. Czech Republic? Very angry.
Feel free to submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/Tickets/Submit

Offline claire.bartlett1

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 08:31:42 PM »
 25 texts to a number in the Czech Republic - 420720001669 - total charges £8.75, all unauthorised.  Checked on Google and found they happen when you load Avast Anti Theft on your mobile.  NOT HAPPY. Have uninstalled software, and contacted phone provider who have blocked the number.  Now I want to claim the money back as these transaction were not authorised.  Where do I go to ask for the money back?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2015, 08:37:25 PM »
Please (re)search before posting.
It has been explained many times already.
On this webboard, on the avast website and many other places.

You did authorize it.
You could have disabled the sending of sms's if you wanted.

It is not avast that charged you, but your provider.
If you want the money back, you need to ask your phone provider.

Offline claire.bartlett1

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2015, 08:43:37 PM »
Blimey - bit harsh aren't you. It is my 16 year old son's phone and all he was trying to do was protect it.  Sadly at 16 he doesn't always read the small print.  I spent about half an hour "researching" this and subsequently contacted the phone company who told me to contact Avast.  All the searches on Google posted me to this forum where other people were asking exactly the same question, and being given links to "tickets".  Your replies seem somewhat abrupt - this is a forum after all and all I was trying to do was look for advice, and not be reprimanded for asking.  I'll be coming off this forum, as it's obviously not been set up to help anyone - just to point out how stupid they must be in the first place.  Cheers for that.

Offline Tereza V.

• Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Hi Claire, sorry if you felt offended by the previous tone of other users, but the facts they gave you are right and the links are exactly the same I would post.

As far as I know, sending the Anti-Theft messages (as a precaution measure in case someone steals your device) are off by default (see the attached screenshots), so your son actually did authorize the messages by changing the settings. Avast did not charge you anything, so I do not think Avast can make the refund.

With security applications (in general) it is really advisable to read about each product carefully to make sure you fully protect your device in the right way. We are truly sorry about your trouble, but it has not been the application mistake.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 10:13:54 AM by Tereza V. »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:58 AM »
As with (about?) all things...
If you want to use something, learn about it, learn how to use it, learn what things are for.

e.g.
You can't just step into a car and expect being able to drive it if you don't know what the brake-/clutch-/throttle pedals are.
That it needs energy (fuel, water, electricity etc) in order to drive.
And all the other things that you need to know about the car...