Author Topic: Streaming online protection???  (Read 24976 times)

REDACTED

Streaming online protection???
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:22:08 PM »
Hi I want to stream live content to my t.v via Amazon fire stick with kodi installed but as I don't know much about this I was wondering if I will be attacked with virus or malware while streaming, I am scare my bank details with be stolen, will using avast secure line vpn  for iOS protect me from this happening via my home wi fi and public wi fi  or is this not what this app is for at all?

Offline jobert

• Avast team
Re: Streaming online protection???
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:59:20 AM »
Hi,

Yes, that's what SecureLine is for. It can protect all the data you exchange with others on the Internet.
While connected to one of our VPNs, the data transferred from/to your device are encrypted. So only the two ends of the communication are able to read them. We use a pretty strong encryption algorithm and the encryption key may also change during the lifetime of the VPN connection.

I strongly recommend using it to secure you on public Wi-Fis.
But, at home, I think you should rather configure your modem/router to make it more secure - unless you want to access blocked content (you can also connect to a VPN on a different country if the content you want to access is not available in your country).

Let me know if you need any help.

Regards,

Jobert

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:52:31 PM »
If I set my router settings to there highest will it affect the streaming of the fire stick with kodi on it? I still want to be able to stream live t.v

Offline jobert

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
It shouldn't affect. Just make sure you give access to the right devices on your router.
Few things you could do:
- Change the Wi-Fi password, if it's still the default or some common password
- Filter the devices by MAC address
- Disable SSID broadcasting
These last two could make it a bit inconvenient if you have someone coming over, because they need to enter the name of your network and you need to add their MAC addresses to the filtering list.
If you have a Cisco router, they usually have this feature called Wireless Protected Setup (WPS). By activating it, it will allow someone to, in a short time, join your network with the password and automatically add their MAC address to the filtering list.

Also, you can try the Avast Home Network Security scan, to check vulnerabilities on your router.

But stay tuned, we're working on SecureMe for iOS, which will also provide this scan functionality.
You can read more about here: https://blog.avast.com/2015/03/02/new-avast-secureme-app-protects-ios-and-android-users-from-wi-fi-hacking/
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:02:23 PM by jobert »

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 05:04:33 PM »
moi aussi j ai une boite streamin android et j ai le logiciel avast securline je veux l installer dans ma boite je ne sais pas comment faire

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 05:31:34 AM »
Please post English here, else use the forum section for your language.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=21.0
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:51 PM »
I strongly recommend using it to secure you on public Wi-Fis.