Author Topic: Updates foil Email  (Read 8334 times)

Col Colt

Updates foil Email
« on: November 15, 2005, 11:30:29 PM »
Is there a problem with the update today? I wasn't paying a lot of attention on boot up but, there must have been a program update as I was asked to reboot after ZA kept telling me avast was tryiing to access the Internet, blah, blah. I know I had some emails as I checked them from the office yet, when I came home and went through all that updating, now Mailwasher Pro doesn't show I have anything in my in box. I know there were several but nothing shows when I open MW. What happened? Had something to do with this update/upgrade I'm sure.

ZA asked me about some avast file... avast*** scanning email or something to that affect and I said no as I have MailWasher Pro to do that and didn't want to change anything. Could any of this be the problem? As I said I wasn't payng much attention as I was distracted and thought it all was acting the same as always except the pop ups from ZA which don't usually occur.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 11:36:39 PM by Col Colt »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updates foil Email
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 11:36:14 PM »
There was no program update so it wasn't avast requiring a reboot.

Check Zone Alarm it has a habit of forgetting the programs it has allowed access. See if toy can find ashMaiSv.exe in the programs/application area and delete the entry. Then launch either your email program or mailwasher and ZA should ask permission for ashMaiSv.exe to connect, accept it and you should be back in business.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 11:45:05 PM »
When I tried to launch MailWasher there's still nothing there? A box came up and asked me about my pop3 server...that it wasn't responding properly.

See if toy can find ashMaiSv.exe in the programs/application area and delete the entry.

What is toy?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 11:54:43 PM »
If mailwasher tries to check your email the Internet Mail provider will be filtering connections to the mail ports, so if ashMaiSv.exe is blocked by your firewall, neither your email program or mailwasher will be able to connect and most likely get the timeout error.

My tou is my sperd tuping withuot a smell checker ;D even with one it would miss my toy ;D

Should read "See if you (easy really ;D) can find ashMaiSv.exe in the programs/application area and delete the entry. " if you ignored my toy you should have been able to read between the words ;D

Hopefully all is clearer now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 11:56:54 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 12:01:44 AM »
 ;DSilly me!! I didn't read good enough...been a very long day! :'( I found that file in Programs files with avast but it wouldn't let me delete it-Access denied? OK...don't know what I was thinking. I went into Computer Mgt>Services and stoped the avast mail scanner. That did the trick. ;D Should I leave it that way?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 12:10:39 AM by Col Colt »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:50:17 AM »
I went into Computer Mgt>Services and stoped the avast mail scanner. That did the trick. ;D Should I leave it that way?
Sure not... you're not protected and could be infected by email viruses...
Better trying to solve the problem.
I suggest you browse for [MailScanner] section of avast4.ini file and add:
IgnoreProcess=mailwasher.exe

Details, click 'Settings' in my signature  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Col Colt

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 01:03:30 AM »
I found MailScanner and added that value where is...  'Settings' in my signature?
Will all this not put me back to square one again?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 01:05:01 AM by Col Colt »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 01:16:25 AM »
I found MailScanner and added that value where is...  'Settings' in my signature?
Will all this not put me back to square one again?
Don't you see my signature?
Isn't there a link called 'Settings'? Click it.
Or, if you can't see  ::) ::) click here

Which is square one?  ;D
I think this COULD solve this problem: Mailwasher Pro doesn't show I have anything in my in box.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 01:40:47 AM »
;DSilly me!! I didn't read good enough...been a very long day! :'( I found that file in Programs files with avast but it wouldn't let me delete it-Access denied? OK...don't know what I was thinking. I went into Computer Mgt>Services and stoped the avast mail scanner. That did the trick. ;D Should I leave it that way?
If it won't let you delete the entry (strange), it should at the very least then let you change what I assume is block access for for ashMaiSv.exe to allow?

No simply disabling the mail scanner doesn't solve the problem, just the symptom and leaves you more vulnerable to email borne viruses. Reverse what you did and edit the access setting for ashMaiSv.exe in Zone Alarm.

Whilst I have mailwasher ignored in avast4.ini as Tech mentioned (that is not the cause of the problem) as I feel there is a very low risk of infection since mailwasher only downloads a small part of the email and that is viewed in plain text, so a very, very low risk.

But lets deal with the problem not the symptoms.

Col Colt

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 02:11:20 AM »
I reversed what I did and then tried to email myself but, when I did, I got a pop up box that said, "Failed to connect to iincoming server: "mail.comcast.net". Connect error 10061. So, now I'm back to square one again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 02:28:15 AM »
Because you haven't done what I suggested in my first reply. Go into ZA and find the entry for ashMaiSv.exe and change the access to allow it to connect.

There was no program update so it wasn't avast requiring a reboot.

Check Zone Alarm it has a habit of forgetting the programs it has allowed access. See if you can find ashMaiSv.exe in the programs/application area and delete the entry. Then launch either your email program or mailwasher and ZA should ask permission for ashMaiSv.exe to connect, accept it and you should be back in business.

If it doesn't allow you to delete it, edit it to allow access. I don't use ZA, or haven't for some years, so I can't tell you exactly how to do this, you will have to check the ZA help file if need be.

Col Colt

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 02:54:26 AM »
I overlooked that the first time. I found it, however and the options are "This program may use other programs to access the Internet", this is unchecked. "Allow Application Interaction" this also is unchecked. Outbound email Protection is checked. I never bothered to check or uncheck these so, it must be default. I did increase the "Trust Level" as they call it. That's about all they have in the options for this file.

I decided to delete it as you mentioned earlier but, after launching MailWasher, ZA did nothing. I went direct to my email program without them asking me about permission for  ashMaiSv.exe to connect.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:07:22 AM by Col Colt »

Col Colt

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 03:16:03 AM »
I rebooted and now I'm getting those errors again... pop3 server is not responding properly. Ensure you have specified the address of a POP server. I closed that box out, tried to send myself an email and then got, "Failed to connect to incoming server...." what gives? I did all I know to do. :(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:24:28 AM by Col Colt »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 05:54:03 AM »
The avast point release is gradually making its way out to the user community.  Not all users have yet been advised of the program update; it seems Col Colt was today.

In my experience every program update to avast causes ZoneAlarm to tell me that the "signature" of various avast components has changed and asks for renewed permission for those components to have outbound access.

It is only logical that it should recognize that programs have been changed and to confirm that the system owner approves of the change - that is, after all, one of the major reasons to have the product installed.  It has nothing to do with ZoneAlarm forgetting permissions.

As for updating the ZoneAlarm program controls one simply goes to "Program Control" and right clicks on for example "Avast e-mail scanner" and selects delete to remove it.  It will then ask for permission again the next time avast is invoked by the email application.

I hope that Col Colt is not confusing avast e-mail scanner with ZoneAlerms built in e-mail scanner which is best turned off when using avast Internet mail scanner.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 05:57:49 AM by alanrf »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 06:23:09 AM »
Reading the thread again I have to wonder if Col Colt is using ZoneAlarm since none of the terms he is using appear in any of my interactions with ZoneAlarm.

Perhaps it is a difference between ZA free and Pro but I rather doubt it.

I'm using Avast 4.6.731, current ZA (free) and mail.comcast.net without problems, I do not use mailwasher. 

I suppose there could be an inconsistency with the latest point release of avast and mailwasher ... proxy configuration perhaps ... couldn't hurt to recheck that mailwasher and avast are set to work correctly with each other.   

« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 06:31:11 AM by alanrf »