Author Topic: Updates foil Email  (Read 8335 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Updates foil Email
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »
This is the key statement:
ZA asked me about some avast file... avast*** scanning email or something to that affect and I said no as I have MailWasher Pro to do that and didn't want to change anything. Could any of this be the problem?

That in effect, saying NO blocks ashMaiSv.exe ("Avast e-mail scanner") having been blocked it needs to be allowed again, otherwise mailwasher and whatever email program is used that is monitored by the "Avast e-mail scanner" will also be blocked unless, ZA block is corrected or the Internet Mail provider is terminated or editing avast4.ini IgnoreProcess=mailwasher.exe,youremailprogram.exe (both of which just kill the symptoms and leave you more vulnerable, but they are options).

I guess the ball is in Col Colt's court now we have provided the information that should resolve the issue, we are just repeating what we have said before.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2005, 11:39:32 PM »
I hope that Col Colt is not confusing avast e-mail scanner with ZoneAlerms built in e-mail scanner which is best turned off when using avast Internet mail scanner.

Nope-I went into Programs Controls in ZA Pro and found the avast file and tweaked it a bit later on last night, turned the computer off as it was going on 11:00 and I get up at 4:30 so, called it a night. Just a while ago when I got home, everything seems to running just as before all this happened. No problem accessing email-send or receive. I'm not sure what happened overnight but, nevertheless, all appears well. I have MailWasher Pro 5.0, ZA Pro, and avast Pro build 4.6.731. Don't think I gave all that before. I suppose all is ok now but I definitely plan on bookmarking/printiing these suggestions if it happens again. Now that I understand it a bit more, maybe it won't. To all that helped, despite my thick head yesterday evening, much oblige!! ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 11:41:25 PM by Col Colt »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 01:15:02 AM »
Hopefully it is all resolved. If a program update did in fact happen (4.6.731) there could have been issues if you didn't re-boot after the update. So shutting down your computer and rebooting the next day may have sorted any issues in an updated ashMaiSv.exe, etc. but that shouldn't have had any effect if ZA was blocking.

If ZA throws up a warning window, for the want of a few seconds reading to see what it is asking, don't get in the habit of auto clicking a response.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Col Colt

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 01:20:50 AM »
Yeah, DavidR, you're right. The whole problem could have been eliminated if I had just hit "Allow" when ZA asked for ashMaiSv.exe permissions on that file . I didn't immediately recognize it I suppose or, just got in a hurry and checked the wrong box, launching the problem. Won't happen again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 01:28:10 AM »
In fact, if ashMaiSv.exe does not process the email, automatic update won't occur...
This could happen if you use an antispam, or if you deny permission to ashMaiSv.exe to connect the Internet or manage that email, etc.  8)
The best things in life are free.

Col Colt

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 01:50:30 AM »
Guess everything's back to normal in that when I booted up this afternoon late, the familar virus updates popped up as always telling me my virus data base had been updated. :)