Author Topic: Avast program update locked registry keys  (Read 3809 times)

REDACTED

Avast program update locked registry keys
« on: July 29, 2015, 09:29:22 PM »
Some time ago I updated to Free Avast 10.3.2223 from version 9. Since then I noticed I'm unable to write directly to the following registry key (access denied error):
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

and some programs such as Norton Ghost are unable to write to the registry when their installation is modified rendering the program useless. The Registry Editor shows my Windows account as well as the System account have full control of the key and its owner is the Administrators group so I should be able to write to it.

I know the culprit is Avast because I was able to write to that registry key only after I uninstalled Avast and ran AswClear in Safe Mode.

I don't want to uninstall Avast and clearing its settings just to be able to write to the registry. I tried disabling all Avast shields, disabling the Avast windows service and removing the GUI startup from
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
in Safe Mode but I'm still unable to write to the registry after rebooting.

Does anybody have a solution?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:46:59 PM by abuelopitufo »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast program update locked registry keys
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:40:09 PM »
I don't have that issue on my XP PRO SP3 system, spec below. Whilst I don't know if the latest build would make a difference, but Avast 10.3.2225 has just been released. I would suggest updating from the avast UI as there is less value in chasing a problem in an older version.

What is your operating system ?

Do you have WinPatrol ?
The reason I mention it a resent version messed with that very key, but I don't know if it would subsequently also mess with the permissions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:57:55 PM »
Thank you for your response.

No, I don't have WinPatrol or any monitoring utility installed on my Windows7 Home computer.

I just updated Avast to 10.3.2225 as suggested but the problem is still happening.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 11:25:24 PM »
I don't see why avast would block this, considering as you say disabling the shields and UI had no change in the problem. Generally I would only think that avast would protect its own registry entries and not all. I just wonder if this isn't UAC at work - something that isn't in XP - possibly why I don't have any issue on that.

Have you made any changes in the avast default settings ?
The reason I ask is in recent versions 2223 and later have HIPS (disabled by default) but there are two settings in the AvastUI > Settings > Active Protection > File System Shield > Customise > Sensitivity - HIPS section (see image)

Why is it that you are trying to modify the Run key ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security