Author Topic: Getting this Error after Update  (Read 17447 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Getting this Error after Update
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 01:59:02 AM »
Hmm... do you have any alert set in program settings?
No, Igor, nothing one... and it appeared to me... If checked the Alert page of settings immediatly after that messages appeared, nothing. I just open MS Outlook and get email from there once. One day after the messages appearedĀ  ::)
Igor, the screenshot of my problem was posted by Delta here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17486
The best things in life are free.

jd500c

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 06:21:01 AM »
OK all,  got the problem fixed.  It was an ZA permission that somehow got turned on.  I did look at ZA first off, but the permission was  for avast email scanner service-  the one for send email was marked to block.  I unmarked it to allow and the error quit popping up. 
   The reason this was missed is that that colum was not showing up on my normal screen- need to slide over to see,  other permissions were marked, and I just overlooked that one.  Why or how it was marked to block is still a good question, but is now corrected anyway.

Thanks for the great help and I hope I did not waste your time on this.

Delta

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 09:39:02 AM »
Hi, Tech has posted the link to the topic I started. Thanks Tech.

It only happens in my limited account not in the admin account. Could there be a problems with permissions?

I don't have ZA but use Kerio 2.1.5 which is set to ask for permission to allow new programs to make internet connections. I don't think it could be a problem with loopback because the admin account is unaffected.

As a side note I lost an email after the update. I downloaded all my emails with Outlook Express. Read those I was interested in and then closed OE. After a while I re-opened OE to reply to them and one of the emails was no longer there. Disappeared, gone. I don't suppose this has any relevance but I thought it was worth mentioning.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:40:40 AM by Delta »

Trial_user

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 11:55:33 AM »
Hi!

I would comment on the whole issue saying that testing methods and isolating the problem is really central to solving it. I mean, the guys were talking about a reg hack to unregister MAPI!!!! Another guy drools at this.... lollllll and finally, we end up with an interaction between 2 programs because one not fully understand the interactions between all their components.

I can only laugh when I see people running S&D, Ad-aware, Spybot seek and destroy, zonealarm, Kerio, and a sledgefull of other soft all at once, all interacting to create so many problems and weird symptoms. I think when we get queries like that, the first step is to reproduce it in a clean environment. A clean environment would have been XPSP2+Office+Avast. It was not a waste of time because of my comments lollll

Thanks!

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 10:12:53 AM »
Whoever is experiencing the problem - please, open regedit and check the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
- what is the default value of this key? (i.e. when you select it, what is the top line in the right panel?)

Additionally, if this value is XXXXXXX, please check the value called DllPath in the subkey
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\XXXXXXX
What does it contain?

Thanks.

Offline Acco

• Where's my flask?!
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 05:10:23 PM »
Hi igor,
I posted my Registry info on my original post:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=17560.0

Thanks,
Acco
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Late Edit/Update:
I'm posting my reg info screenshot here, and abandoned my post (link listed above), as jd500 started this problems thread here,, first.
Note: This popup only occurs on a Limited User account (WinXP), and not while trying to scan in an Administrator's account.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 11:26:57 PM by Acco »
Whadayamean it's broke,,,   let me make sure!

XP-Pro SP3 - P4 3.2 Ghz - 2 GB ram - Avast Free Home 2015.10.2.2218 - Firefox 38.0.1 - Thunderbird 31.6.0 - Imap Gmail - SpywareBlaster 5 - SuperAntiSpyware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium

Delta

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »
Hi,

HKLM\software\clients\mail
contains
(default) RG_SIZE Outlook Express

HKLM\software\clients\mail\Outlook Express
contains
DLLPath RG_EXPAND_SZ %Program Files%\Outlook Express\msoe.dll

I hope this is the info you wanted.

As I said, this error only occurs in the only limited account on this machine.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 09:22:45 PM »
Igor,

just did some testing with another user who was experiencing this error message.

We both have Thunderbird set as the default mail client so our "Default" and dllpath were identical. 

The only difference between us is that he has a subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\NoMailClient

set to:

Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request.*Windows Messaging

This subkey is not present on my system and I have not experienced the error message.  He could reproduce the error message at will with this subkey present.  When he removed the NoMailClient subkey the error message no longer appears.

I notice that in posting his registry info that user Acco did not have the NoMailClient subkey.  He did have another subkey that is not present on my system.

My registry simply has the Default and the PreFirstRun subkey.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 10:01:56 PM by alanrf »

Delta

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »
Igor,
My registry simply has the Default and the PreFirstRun subkey.

I'm afraid that is the same as mine. There is no NoMailClient subkey either. And I don't have LastUserInitiatedDefaultChange like Acco.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005, 05:19:10 PM »
OK, guys, try this file, please.
Go to avast! installation folder, rename aswEngin.dll to something else (e.g. aswEngin.dl_) and extract the content of the archive to the folder.
I hope it should fix the problems.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005, 05:51:19 PM »
Go to avast! installation folder, rename aswEngin.dll to something else (e.g. aswEngin.dl_)
If file is in use, you need to stop avast, rename or even use Unlocker tool.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2005, 07:20:33 PM »
No, you don't ;) - at least not in NT/2000/XP.
That's why I wrote to rename it first.

Delta

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2005, 07:44:20 PM »
Thanks Igor, that has solved the problem :D

One question though, do you recommend keeping this new version or should the old version be restored?

Thanks again.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2005, 07:54:30 PM »
No, you don't ;) - at least not in NT/2000/XP.
That's why I wrote to rename it first.
I just couldn't rename... file access denied by ashserv.exe.
I'm using, as you know, XP SP2+
Only with disabling avast and using Unlocker I could rename and copy the new files there.
How can I test if it is working?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2005, 08:04:47 PM »
One question though, do you recommend keeping this new version or should the old version be restored?

You can safely keep the new version.