Author Topic: Some options of the Avast Free can't connect to the Internet  (Read 3548 times)

REDACTED

Hello,

I have an issue with Avast Free on Windows XP. The previous license has expired so I had to install new version of Avast Free program.
After installation I wasn't able to register for a free license so I had to do a offline registration. I successfully registered  - I have an annual free license.
But when I try to open the Avast menu option like for example Shop, Account or when I try to view the Firewall option I always see the message:

"The online content is unavailable."

Everything seems to be OK with my Internet connection. I tried to reinstall Avast Free program but there is no progress.

What can I do to resolve the issue?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Some options of the Avast Free can't connect to the Internet
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:58:31 AM »
Be sure that AvastUI.exe is allowed in your firewall.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 10:49:57 PM »
I use only Windows Firewall which is by default on the Windows XP. As I have checked there is an exception added for the Avast in this fierwall settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
You don't need an exception as such since the XP firewall doesn't provide outbound protection, only inbound.

You shouldn't need to do this (load the shop), by trying to look at the Firewall option in avast free (which doesn't have a firewall) you are inadvertently being pushed towards purchase of one of the avast programs Internet Security or avast Premier that have the avast firewall.

To re/re-register the free version, that can be done from the avastUI > Settings > Registration

What XP SP number are you running SP2 or 3 ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security