Author Topic: Pop Up Windows Won't Go Away  (Read 11388 times)

REDACTED

Pop Up Windows Won't Go Away
« on: July 30, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »
As I came to my computer this morning, a plethora of pop up windows appeared:  "Avast Cleanup:  An instance of the service is running" and "Your PC is successfully optimized, check out results."   I clicked the "x" to delete (no minimize feature is available) but they just come right back - taking up the right side of my computer window, no matter where I go.  VERY annoying!  I can't make these windows go away!!  I don't mind being informed of something, but once I've read it, I should be able to delete it.  HELP!   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:30:11 PM by lcmspastor »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Pop Up Windows Won't Go Away
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
and what happens if you reboot?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
Rebooting the computer seems to have turned off one of the constantly popping up windows, the one that says "Your PC was successfully optimized" but the "Avast Cleanup An instance of the service is already running" just keeps re-appearing; it says up for maybe 20 seconds or so, disappears, and then IMMEDIATELY reappears.  If I click on the X, it just immediately comes right back.   

REDACTED

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:31:36 AM »
I am also having this problem as of today. I had the same results after rebooting, and I tried going into the Task Manager to stop the process (since it's also eating up lots of CPU space), but it won't let me.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 07:43:05 AM »
As of around 12:20, Central US Time, I also noticed this problem. I will keep closing out the notifications but they keep opening up. Will not be able to access PC for several days, hope it gets fixed by then. This is very, very disappointing and frustrating for an unexplained bug to happen on my computer, for no discernible reason whatsoever. Any fix, temporary or otherwise, would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Notifications have stopped, I believe the problem was due to the fact that my next "optimization" was scheduled for 7/30/2015, at 11:59 PM. Despite today being 7/31/15 at 12:50 AM. Maybe it's an issue with Avast's scheduling programming, maybe it's a complete coincidence. I also believe that perhaps it was due to the fact I had it scheduled for monthly cleanings, and it just so happened to land on exactly midnight? Not quite sure to be completely honest.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:53:02 AM by 0Kaiju0 »

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 03:29:31 PM »
I had the exact same problem since yesterday afternoon. I tried all sorts of stuff...scanning, turning off the computer and turning it back on, etc. Then, this morning, I turned off the cleanup and restarted the computer after I turned off the cleanup. The window no longer pops up for me after I turn off cleanup. I know that this is more than a temporary reprieve from the problem instead of a permanent solution, because it is obviously less than ideal to have cleanup turned off. However, at least there seems to be a way to get a break from this very annoying pop-up.

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
I too am having the same problem...it started with Avast Grimefighter rebooting my computer every 20 minutes I closed the grimefighter screen, computer would reboot again.  I saw there was an Avast update, I installed it.  The grime fighter has not reappeared but now I have the pop up window in the bottom right "Avast Cleanup" "An instance of the service is already running"  Cannot get rid of it and it is slowing my computer down.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:43 PM »
Is there no help from Avast?   It continues.... and it's really slowing down my computer.   I paid the money for all this in hopes of speeding UP my computer - instead, now it's slower.

HELP

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »
there may be a avast cleanup bug (tool is new, previous GrimeFighter)

you could try removing it

Avast 2015: Change, add, or remove individual program components  https://www.avast.com/en-eu/faq.php?article=AVKB96#artTitle

REDACTED

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:59 PM »
I JUST paid for this service, I ordered and downloaded Avast (the security and the clean up programs) just last week, both in hopes of getting my computer up to speed again.... now I need to delete it?  Do I get a refund? 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 04:41:28 PM »
avast support  https://support.avast.com  >  submit a support ticket

REDACTED

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
I unistalled the cleanup and so far have not had the pop up again!

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »
I unistalled the cleanup and so far have not had the pop up again!

That's the ticket. :)
The continual hounding with pop up windows is anti productive.

REDACTED

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
I am having the same problem, even after rebooting.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 06:07:12 PM »
I am having the same problem, even after rebooting.
a solution you may try is given in  reply #8