Author Topic: Pop Up Windows Won't Go Away  (Read 11375 times)

REDACTED

Re: Pop Up Windows Won't Go Away
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 02:42:43 AM »
If you use windows. Go to control panel, then security, administrative tools, services, in the avast row if it says started right click on the row and click on restart. Worked for me.

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 02:54:53 AM »
So we need to uninstall what we just paid for?  I just got this 4 days ago.....  If I uninstall it, do I get my money back?

BTW, I did as suggested and requested a "ticket."  But I never received the email so that went nowhere.

REDACTED

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 03:03:09 AM »
If you use windows. Go to control panel, then security, administrative tools, services, in the avast row if it says started right click on the row and click on restart. Worked for me.

I tried this.  Windows reported it could not complete the action.  I don't know if it deleted Avast (and just couldn't re-start), I'll need to check that, but the stubborn pop up is still there so I suspect it's still working.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2015, 05:10:46 PM »
So we need to uninstall what we just paid for?  I just got this 4 days ago.....  If I uninstall it, do I get my money back?

BTW, I did as suggested and requested a "ticket."  But I never received the email so that went nowhere.

When did you submit a ticket?
A response is not immediate. The process can take 7-10 business days

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »

That's good to know. I submitted a ticket yesterday and haven't received a response.

In the meantime, since I turned off cleanup (did that yesterday), I haven't had the pop-up. You can turn off cleanup by going to settings, then going to tools, then going to cleanup. From there, you can turn off cleanup.

Of course, turning off cleanup won't take away the fact that Avast seems to have a problem with the cleanup function right now. However, turning off cleanup will get rid of that annoying pop-up, at least in my experience with this problem.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2015, 06:32:42 PM »

That's good to know. I submitted a ticket yesterday and haven't received a response.

In the meantime, since I turned off cleanup (did that yesterday), I haven't had the pop-up. You can turn off cleanup by going to settings, then going to tools, then going to cleanup. From there, you can turn off cleanup.

Of course, turning off cleanup won't take away the fact that Avast seems to have a problem with the cleanup function right now. However, turning off cleanup will get rid of that annoying pop-up, at least in my experience with this problem.

That's good.
Give it a few 3-5 (Business Days) and if you've heard nothing back, please report back here. :)

REDACTED

AVAST Technical Support is a sham
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 12:31:59 AM »
I believe Avast is making a killing on this issue. After trying a couple of the fixes indicated on this thread without any results, I called support and basically was told it was not an Avast issue but a Windows 7 issue and for $179 they could fix it. Marice, I think who was a used car salesman in his previous job, tried to convince me that Avast was in conflict with another antivirus program that came with the OS and that  I should get Win10. I assured him I have used Avast for a couple of years now without any issues and that this issue started when Grime Fighter became Avast Cleaner but he would not accept that. I told him I was not going to pay for a problem created by Avast.
Another suggestion I tried finally worked. The Cleaner Scheduler indicated it would run on a date prior to the current date. Once I changed that, I've had no more pop ups.

AVAST Technical Support is a sham and if you've paid them to fix this issue you've been ripped off. When my Licenses expires I am done with Avast.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 06:14:43 AM by kpburd »

REDACTED

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I just started to have this problem tonight after subscribing to Cleanup and attempting to set scheduled cleanups once a month. Once I went into the settings and turned the scheduled scans off again (Settings > Tools > click "customize" beside the Cleanup tool > Scheduling) the popups have gone and not returned. No need to uninstall or disable Cleanup. You'll just have to run your scans for the Cleanup utility manually until the bug is resolved. At least, one would hope this is just a bug.

REDACTED

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 05:00:34 AM »
mine just started today as well, and I've rebooted, cleaned, deleted, added, tried everything, and nothing....just sitting there.....its not only annoying it blocks some things you have to click..........................I've had avast for several years now, and this is the only problem I've ever had.......hope they fix it...or at least tell us how to get rid of it

REDACTED

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 04:34:51 PM »
As I came to my computer this morning, a plethora of pop up windows appeared:  "Avast Cleanup:  An instance of the service is running" and "Your PC is successfully optimized, check out results."   I clicked the "x" to delete (no minimize feature is available) but they just come right back - taking up the right side of my computer window, no matter where I go.  VERY annoying!  I can't make these windows go away!!  I don't mind being informed of something, but once I've read it, I should be able to delete it.  HELP!

Check the next scheduled scan date and time. If it is previous to the current date and time, change it or stop the auto scan. It worked for me.