Author Topic: Mail-problems after upgrade  (Read 4071 times)

da_covale

Mail-problems after upgrade
« on: November 25, 2003, 01:27:43 AM »
Hi!

I have a couple of problems with avast, so I don't know where to start really....

First, Avast didn't tell me to upgrade like it used to do every now and then, so I checked the web-site and sure enough, there was a new version. I was stuck with 4.1.280 and the version on the web-site said 4.1.289. So, I downloaded Avast again, since I had read here on the forums that the installer would patch problems as well as install the new version. I installed Avast, who patched my previous install. Unfortunately, this wasn't the end of my problems. Now, I get this message from my mail-program (Mozilla Thunderbird):

"Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server 127.0.0.1 responded: Permission denied."

I can no longer get my email...

Additionally I was registered here before because of an earlier problem, but my login wouldn't work when I tried to log in to post about this problem. I then tried to reset the password, but haven't recieved any reset-mail yet. (Tried to reset 1-2 day ago) My previous nick here was dacovale. Could that be fixed too?

Thanks in advance
da'covale
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 04:21:54 AM by da_covale »

da_covale

Re:Mail-problems after upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 02:59:22 AM »
Never mind. I solved it.
Was somehow a problem with my password.
After I reset it in the mail-program and entered it again, everything worked.
Must have messed with it without remembering it.
Sorry for the false alarm.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 04:21:40 AM by da_covale »

da_covale

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 01:41:28 AM »
I think I'll post this here, in my old thread, since I feel it would be silly to post a new topic about it.

Anyway, I participate in the Mozilla Forums and there's been some discussion of Avast there. It's been mostly good things that has been said, but this guy had some negative comments, that I thought you might want to hear.

Ehume had to uninstall MS Office due to a problem in Avast.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 01:48:26 AM »
I think I'll post this here, in my old thread, since I feel it would be silly to post a new topic about it.

Anyway, I participate in the Mozilla Forums and there's been some discussion of Avast there. It's been mostly good things that has been said, but this guy had some negative comments, that I thought you might want to hear.

Ehume had to uninstall MS Office due to a problem in Avast.

The link you posted requieres login into Mozilla Forum. Could you post here your information or question about avast? We will be glad to help you (if we can  ;D).
The best things in life are free.

da_covale

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 10:43:17 AM »
Quote from: dacovale
I thought that all Avast did was to change the settings in the mail-program. (like, change adresses for POP / SMTP servers)
Quote from: ehume
That's what I thought, too.
Quote from: dacovale
Since I read the Avast forums, could you perhaps tell me what went wrong?
Quote from: ehume
After I uninstalled Avast, SpamBayes no longer worked. As for what followed, I might have been able to avoid it had I known what the MS advisory messages meant. It told me that the last time I opened Outlook with SpamBayes it didn't work out; would I like to disable SpamBayes? I indicated yes, then was not able to remember where it said the list of disabled items was (it's in Help > About Outlook, of all things). I ended up with two different Personal Folders, neither one of which could be deleted. The newer one was the active one, of course, but all of my "shortcuts" referred to the old one. In the end, uninstallation and scouring was the only solution, followed by reinstallation. Yet, even now I have lost a function involved in moving files. At bottom: you are stuck with Avast until you do a disk wipe and start all over again.

And Avast used 40MB of RAM while the two AVG-related functions are using 7.2MB.