Author Topic: Avast (free) boot scan?  (Read 4524 times)

REDACTED

Avast (free) boot scan?
« on: August 01, 2015, 08:23:19 PM »
I just ran a Boot scan but I was away from computer when scan finished. Is the result of the scan available for free users?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast (free) boot scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »
If the scan completed successfully (not found anything - depending on your scan settings) it would normally boot into windows.

Look in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avast Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt file (XP location) C:\ProgramData\Avast Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt (Vista, Win7 and later location), check this file using notepad for info on the scan/detections, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 11:00:23 PM »
Thank you David, I found it. I was concerned b/c watching it scan I saw Zip archive is corrupted & CAB archive is corrupted. The scan didnt find anything but I dont understand the corrupted archives.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:07:08 PM »
Corrupted Archive file, this could simply mean that avast is unable to unpack it to scan the contents of the archive and assuming it is because it is corrupt.

Even if it were corrupt there is nothing that a user can do to resolve any corruption, short of replacing the file. This I wouldn't recommend (especially if this is for archives in the \System Volume Information folder, part of the system restore function) unless you are getting problems relating to that file outside of the avast scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:34 PM »
Ah, I understand. I had no problems with the computer I just decided to do a boot scan b/c I hadnt done one since March. I do Avast quick scans every 3 days & full scans every 7 days. Is there an interval you would suggest doing boot & boot time scans. How about Home Security scans

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 12:17:47 AM »
Boot scan is not meant to be used as a regular scanner, it is to be used if you have difficulty removing a infection

Avast have realtime protection so all activity in computer is checked in realtime when on

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »
OK., I understand. Thanks for the info.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 12:29:46 AM »
I do a quick scan once a month or so, and only run full if quick detect anything

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 01:25:14 AM »
Ah, I understand. I had no problems with the computer I just decided to do a boot scan b/c I hadnt done one since March. I do Avast quick scans every 3 days & full scans every 7 days. Is there an interval you would suggest doing boot & boot time scans. How about Home Security scans

- With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

I used to have avast set to do a scheduled weekly Quick scan, set at a time and day that I know the computer will be on. But I have ceased this practice for some time now, based in the above.

####
You can run the Smart Scan now and again if you wish as that does a combination of scans including the Home Network Security Scan (if that is what you meant).

However, there is a niggle with the Smart Scan in that the UI result even reports on features/functions that you haven't got installed. I just ran one earlier today to see if the said bug was still present and it is. I don't have the GrimeFighter/CleanUp installed so it couldn't have run yet it says it has been optimized.

This time round it found problems in my network - aside from I don't have a network as such - but the last time I ran the Smart Scan this was fine.

@@@@
Overall my feelings on this so called Smart Scan aren't good.

I flatly refuse to click on a button to Resolve All when there are sod all details given as to what it wrong. I take nothing on blind trust I want to know exactly what is wrong and I also want control of exactly is to be actioned.