Author Topic: Fatal conflict between latest Avast and latest Malwarebytes  (Read 2871 times)

Offline glnz

Fatal conflict between latest Avast and latest Malwarebytes
« on: August 01, 2015, 09:35:52 PM »

I just had a terrible morning of PC horrors.

I still have XP Pro SP3 (using the updates for 2009 POS to keep it secure - there's a hack for that).  I've had Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free (passive) forever.  Today I updated my Avast Free and had a very bad meltdown - could not reboot.

After struggling for a while, I rebooted (for the fifth time) into safe mode, checked Event Viewer, got the idea that BOTH Avast and Malwarebytes were having boot issues, went into msconfig, unchecked all Avast and Malwarebyte services and startup entries, was finally able to reboot into full XP successfully (Hallelujah), UNinstalled both Avast and Malwarebytes, rebooted again, reinstalled Avast, rebooted again, tried to reinstall Malwarebytes and immediately had issues.  So I UNinstalled Malwareytes again and it's still off. 

Avast, please call Malwareybytes and work out the issue, and then PLEASE LET US KNOW.Thanks.
Various Dell Optiplexes running XP Pro SP3 32-bit, Win 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit.  Firefox with security add-ons.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Fatal conflict between latest Avast and latest Malwarebytes
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »
Yes, let's keep the discussion to this Topic>https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174229.0  :)

REDACTED

Re: Fatal conflict between latest Avast and latest Malwarebytes ~ Resolution!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:46:45 PM »
Hi,

I emailed Malwarebytes and they sent me the following.  Which Avast installed, and now there does not seem to be a conflict any longer .. woo hoo!  Hope it works for you too:-) >>>

Some antivirus applications require exclusions to be defined for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, so that they do not interfere with Malwarebytes operation. These are typically referred to as exclusions or ignore list entries.

The following is a list of Malwarebytes programs which should be placed on an Exclusion list if required. This list is specific to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.

For 32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows XP:
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For specific steps on how to add these files to your antivirus’ exclusion list, you will need to contact your antivirus provider directly for best results