Author Topic: Avast is blocking its own webpage as "untrusted"  (Read 3275 times)

REDACTED

Avast is blocking its own webpage as "untrusted"
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »
Hello. This is my first post so I hope it complies with forum standards :)

I tried to open a forum.avast thread from Google and got this message:

This Connection is Untrusted
You have asked Firefox to connect securely to forum.avast.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.
Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.

What Should I Do?
If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

Technical Details
forum.avast.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is not trusted.
(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

I Understand the Risks
If you understand what's going on, you can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification. Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is
tampering with your connection.

Don't add an exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.

I'm also getting a similar message with trusted sites like en.wikipedia and Youtube which won't open and I can no longer see many images and embedded Youtube videos on a social media site I use.

I've been using Avast Free AV for years on my 6 year old Dell netbook with no issues. Back in March I upgraded to Avast Pro. The Avast Pro software updated a few days ago. Then I started getting all these problems as set out above. So I tried to uninstall Avast, but it offered the option to switch back to Avast Free AV - suggesting other Pro users are also having problems? - so that's what I did.

So, just to clarify, I'm currently using Avast Free Antivirus v10.3.2225 with Firefox on Microsoft XP.

I've had previous experience with AV software that's worked fine then suddenly become intrusive and prevented me accessing normal trusted websites. Okay, I'll name them: Norton and Avira. Do I need to add Avast to that list and just move on?

If you can help I'd be most grateful.

Thanks.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Avast is blocking its own webpage as "untrusted"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:46:25 AM »
Workaround: Disable HTTPS-Scanning in the web shield.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »

Bingo! Thank you, Asyn for your clear succinct instruction that worked!

I guess I'm exposed to a little more risk but I'm just glad to be back in business :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
My guess is that you still have XP SP2 ?
The reason I mention this is I use XP Pro SP3 and this issue isn't present on my system.

This issue relating to untrusted sites is to do with the new ability to scan HTTPS traffic was incompatible with XP SP2. That said avast 10.3.2225 and an earlier hotfix in the virus definitions and engine updates should have disabled this HTTPS scanning in XP SP2 or earlier.

You are no more exposed than before avast introduced the HTTPS scanning function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:48:28 AM »
Bingo! Thank you, Asyn for your clear succinct instruction that worked!
I guess I'm exposed to a little more risk but I'm just glad to be back in business :)
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0