Author Topic: Avast 2015 Software Updater says Firefox is"out-of-date", but I beg to differ...  (Read 5334 times)

REDACTED

Ok, so lately, on my Win7 machine, when I run the Avast Free 2015 Program Version 10.3.2225 Software Updater, I get this:

I have verified that I have the latest version of Firefox (v39.0) and am told at the About Firefox version checker that "Firefox is up to date".

Anything I can do?

Thanks!

Gene :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I have firefox 39.0 and avast 10.3.2225 on XP Pro SP3 and the software updater shows Firefox is up to date.

Try the Refresh option at the bottom left.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

Try the Refresh option at the bottom left.
I thought it would go without saying that of course I hit the Refresh button,

but I'll go ahead and say it anyway...I did (same result).

Not just once, but each and every time I get that "out-of-date" notification.

Thanks for your reply!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
If you can close that firefox expanded section, the greyed out X. The section should now have a information 'i' icon. That should expand it again and hopefully show what firefox version avast believes you to have.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

It would appear that what we have here is a simple "glitch" in Avast's determination of what is, or isn't, up-to-date as it seeks versions of software for the Software Updater.

Now, without me doing anything other than clicking on the Software Updater again (hours later than my initial report above), I get:

And, I failed to mention before that this isn't the first time that on one day it will show that Firefox (JUST Firefox) needs updating (when it didn't) and on the next day, show it being up-to date.

So, with all things considered, this is a minor event that doesn't need further scrutiny relative to my own Avast Program, unless the powers that be decide this is worth further investigation in order to find a cause and ultimately a solution that will help others possibly having the same thing happen to their own Avast 2015.

If, and when, it occurs again that Avast tells me Firefox is not up-to-date, I'll click on that info Icon ( i ) and see what version it "thinks" I have and post it back here.

Thanks!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
It certainly seems to be a glitch, one however that I haven't seen for firefox on my system.

Offline davexnet

• Poster
All of the above apps have their own built-in check for updates.

What is the purpose of the avast software updater ?  Seems like we're encouraging users to disengage their brains
when they use their PC's.
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
All of the above apps have their own built-in check for updates.

What is the purpose of the avast software updater ?  Seems like we're encouraging users to disengage their brains
when they use their PC's.

The avast updater can always be removed if 'you' feel you don't need it, but for many it is a helpful reminder. Some people also don't all programs to automatically update.

The avast updater doesn't cover all of your programs, but those popular and targeted programs, especially those that are internet facing.

REDACTED

My Avast Version:

Avast still reporting that Firefox is out-of date (even after Refreshing):

But, as you can see here, it is up-to-date
including the latest Security Update of August 7, 2015:

Otherwise, Avast is working fine.

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
When there is a problem with Software Updater, you can try to reset it.
Open the Avast User Interface and go to :

Scan - Scan for outdated software - Settings - Database reset (troubleshooting) - Reset database now - Yes.

I hope it helps :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

REDACTED

If it is not Google Chrome, Avast will not even consider it.

REDACTED

Open the Avast User Interface and go to :
Scan - Scan for outdated software - Settings - Database reset (troubleshooting) - Reset database now - Yes.
I hope it helps :)
Greetz, Red.

I haven't followed your suggestion yet (but I will).

However, without me doing anything to Avast, other than running the Software updater AFTER rebooting my computer following some maintenance, it shows Firefox up-to-date:

And I've mentioned before, that one day it might show it out-of-date and the next day up-to-date.

I will however follow your advice and see what happens going forward.

REDACTED

DONE!

Let's see what the future has in store for my Avast Software Updater.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 05:14:07 PM by Telstar »