Author Topic: Avast Internet Security Free license gone!  (Read 4393 times)

REDACTED

Avast Internet Security Free license gone!
« on: August 03, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »
Hi guys,

About two years ago I managed to recommend 21 friends to use Avast IS and I got my 3 year license. Just now I have reformatted my computer but now when I login to my Avast account the license for IS is no longer available to download. It also says that I have 0 recommendations. This license is valid until January of next year. How do I get it back?
Thanks,

Tom.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:00:48 AM by Tom174 »

Offline moroni

• Avast team
  • Poster
Re: Avast Internet Security Free license gone!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
Hi guys,

About two years ago I managed to recommend 21 friends to use Avast IS and I got my 3 year license. Just now I have reformatted my computer but now when I login to my Avast account the license for IS is no longer available to download. It also says that I have 0 recommendations. This license is valid until January of next year. How do I get it back?
Thanks,

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Are you sure that the email address is the same? There is no (and never have been a) license registered under your email address. Perhaps you used a different one in the past?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:56:16 PM »
Come to think of it, my email address used to be thehater866@gmail.com - but I deleted that email account ages ago. Is it possible to send it to my current email address?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:12:14 PM by Tom174 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 06:42:27 PM »
First you have to log into your my.avast.com account and add a new email address to your account (top right corner where your email address is). Select Manage Emails, now add the new one, a validation email will be sent for the new email address.

Once you validate it, log back in and Manage Emails again and set the new email address as your default.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:01:20 PM »
That has nothing to do with the issue and won't fix it. I told you that my thehater866@gmail.com email account was deleted long ago.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:01:18 PM »
Actually, you're incorrect. Logging into your Avast account using the old email address, then adding your NEW email address to that account as the primary should correct this issue, as long as you remember the password for the Avast account associated with the old email address.

In order to make your new email address the default for the account where your subscription is active, you HAVE to login to Avast with the old email address first, then add your new one. This will send a confirmation email to the new email address. After confirmation, you can tell your account to make the new one the default, and then remove the old one from your Avast account. From this point on, you should be able to login to the correct account, using your new email address. Once you do this, just login to avast using the new email, and you're done

NOTE: you may have to close the avast account that is currently using your new email address before adding it to your old avast account. Worst case, temporarily recreate the old gmail address, long enough to retrieve the password for your old avast account

REDACTED

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 12:57:17 PM »
Actually, you're incorrect. Logging into your Avast account using the old email address, then adding your NEW email address to that account as the primary should correct this issue, as long as you remember the password for the Avast account associated with the old email address.

In order to make your new email address the default for the account where your subscription is active, you HAVE to login to Avast with the old email address first, then add your new one. This will send a confirmation email to the new email address. After confirmation, you can tell your account to make the new one the default, and then remove the old one from your Avast account. From this point on, you should be able to login to the correct account, using your new email address. Once you do this, just login to avast using the new email, and you're done

NOTE: you may have to close the avast account that is currently using your new email address before adding it to your old avast account. Worst case, temporarily recreate the old gmail address, long enough to retrieve the password for your old avast account

No, no, no and no. The old email address is absolutely and completely disassociated from my account, I replaced it with my new address and then deleted the old address. The old gmail account is also deleted. But, so we are clear, are you saying that if I create a new gmail account that is identical to the old account's email address, my licence should magically come back? The only problem is that, once you delete an account with gmail, I am sure you cannot use the same name again, or it could easily be that someone else has now taken the name.

Thanks for your reply.

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:29:08 PM »
I may have misunderstood... From what I read, it seemed like you created a new Avast account using your new email address. Are you telling me that you performed the above steps with your avast account already to change your email, when you decided to delete your gmail account?

Are you sure you didn't register the new email account under a new avast account?

Basically, in order to help troubleshoot this issue properly, it is crucial to understand exactly what you did when you started using your new email address with Avast.

Exactly how did you go about the process of using your new email address with Avast? Did you use the steps I mentioned above , or did you just register your next avast install with the new email address?

If you registered your next Avast install with the new email address, this did not add the new email address to your avast account... instead, it created a new Avast account with the new email address. If this is the case, you have to login to Avast using your old email and avast password and follow the steps i outlined in my previous post.

If you've already followed those steps, and transferred the account to your new email address properly, then this sounds like a possible bug, or issue on the part of Avast.

REDACTED

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
Got it all sorted out with Tech support. Thanks for your help everyone :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 03:29:41 PM »
You're welcome, thanks for letting us know the outcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security