Author Topic: You have exceeded maximum number of attempts. Please try again later.  (Read 8589 times)

REDACTED

When I tried to renew my free license, I got this response within avast on my machine,  "You have exceeded maximum number of attempts. Please try again later."  I haven't made any attempts before this one.  I pressed a button early on, and according to my account when I logged directly into Avast.com it says I'm renewed until next year.  So it's really not a problem, but I wondered if someone had tried to use a password cracker and exceeded the number of attempts.  No one has access to my machine other than me.

REDACTED

Re: You have exceeded maximum number of attempts. Please try again later.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
I should have said that the earlier button pushing was on an avast pop-up warning of expiring license.  I also wonder how much later would reset the number attempt screen?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
Just an update.  It's been quite a long time and "account" still says exactly the same thing.  I figured it had a one hour or so reset, but I guess it could be 24 hours.

Free 2015.10.2.2218
Windows 7 64 bit

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 11:15:44 PM »
1) I strongly suggest that you update to v2015.10.3.2225 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174286.msg1237838#msg1237838

2) If your my.avast.com account says you are registered/licensed for another year you may want to try a repair...

Control Panel>Uninstall a Program>double click "avast">click "repair">reboot.
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 01:00:43 AM »
1) I strongly suggest that you update to v2015.10.3.2225 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=174286.msg1237838#msg1237838

I don't have any huge objection to upgrading, but the fixes in the above version don't really apply to me.  I'm not running xp, nor am I running Win 10.  You are probably correct that it would fix this little situation.

Just as an update, now...a day later the problem still exists, but I don't need this functionality until August of next year.  Possible it will fix on reboot, which I don't do very often.  It is obviously not a problem that I would have my developers spend any time on, since it may be unique to my machine, and since I run such an antiquated OS and Avast version, I would have thought the problem would already have had a solution.

Thank you for the suggestions.

REDACTED

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 01:18:37 PM »
Update:  Now on the 6th of August the account box reset and looks like normal.  "...maximum number of attempts...." is no longer visible.  Machine did not reboot, nor did I shut down Avast.  I thought about using my firewall to lock out the internet and restarting avast, but I didn't even do that.

So maybe if this pops up for someone else, waiting 3 or 4 days might fix it?