Author Topic: NNTP newsgroup scanning  (Read 1894 times)

TacoBellSteve

NNTP newsgroup scanning
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:12:14 PM »
I have a PC running XP Home SP2, with a DSL connection.  I'm using Avast Home Edition, version 4.6.731.

I usually disable the NNTP newsgroup scanning because it REALLY slows down the downloading of new newsgroup messages.  And I read and post to newsgroups every day.

However, since Avast just released a new build of Avast AV, I decided to give NNTP scanning another try.  One question, though.  If the NNTP scanner detects a newsgroup post with a virus or dangerous hyperlink, does Avast delete this post, or merely block me from opening it?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: NNTP newsgroup scanning
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 05:18:50 PM »
It will warn you in the same way as an email virus and pause things until you indicate what action you want to take, delete.

You can however, set it to silent mode which would send it to the chest I believe, tick the Silent Mode and General answer NO option in the Resident protection, this information is available in a very useful document 'the avast help file' ;D

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security