Author Topic: securing avast home (free) and script viruses  (Read 5751 times)

ako

securing avast home (free) and script viruses
« on: November 17, 2005, 05:18:28 PM »
Hi!

What should one do  against script viruses when using Avast home
(it does not detect script viruses)?

Is it enough to use e.g. AnalogX's Script Defender?

By the way. Does the free version detect macro viruses?

Ako

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: securing avast home (free) and script viruses
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »
I personally prefer Script Trap, I have used Script Defender and if for any reason you uninstall it later, the file associations can become lost, which can cause you some grief when you click on a file and it asks what program do you want to use to open it.

This is not so much a problem with some common file types but if you add additional file types to the default options to be intercepted you could be in trouble later when you try to sort the file associations.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 07:04:31 PM »
Both the free and Professional versions are based on the same engine - i.e. yes, it does detect macroviruses.

justin1278

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:45:35 PM »
where can i download script trap and is it free?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 10:06:05 PM »
Yes its free and my friend google should be able to point you in the right direction.

This is one of the locations - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/scriptrap.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 12:57:16 AM »
Is it enough to use e.g. AnalogX's Script Defender?
Analog Script Defender is a good one, won't conflict with avast.
But, it's a script blocked and avast scans the scripts.
I think the external script blockers block script file execution but not the Internet Scripts downloaded and executed while browsing... Am I wrong?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 01:43:03 AM »
They don't block the download as such but intercept the execution of the script by changing the file associations of the various scripts. Instead of opening the runtime file required to run the script it opens Script Trap/Defender and you either allow the execution of the script or block it.
If you allow it, Script Trap/Defender simply hand it off to the correct runtime file.
If you block it the script isn't run, but it is still on your system and may or may not be picked up by Standard Shield on a later scan.

ako

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 10:51:36 AM »
By the way,there is still another one: Script Sentry.
I had however, problems with it on XP.

And Microsoft Antrispyware also blocks
some scripts.

Ako

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 11:43:59 AM »
They don't block the download as such but intercept the execution of the script by changing the file associations of the various scripts. Instead of opening the runtime file required to run the script it opens Script Trap/Defender and you either allow the execution of the script or block it.
If you allow it, Script Trap/Defender simply hand it off to the correct runtime file.
David, does this kind of application (script trap) work with java scripts? I mean, can block them? I know avast can scan them (they're shown into Script Blocker provider) but I think the other can't manage them but I'm not sure...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 05:19:35 PM »
Yes and No, it depends on where the code is and how it is executed.

No, if the code is embedded in the code of the web page, just the browser is required because javascript doesn't need another application to run it . JavaScript is running as an integral part of the browser, so there is no call made to the file associations for the associated file to run the script.

Yes if it is a file (ascript.js) on your HDD and you double click it, it would require a runtime file to execute the script, so ScriptTrap can and does intercept that, see image.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 01:48:06 AM »
No, if the code is embedded in the code of the web page, just the browser is required because javascript doesn't need another application to run it . JavaScript is running as an integral part of the browser, so there is no call made to the file associations for the associated file to run the script.
Thanks... I was trying to understand which is the difference between tons of scanned scripts by avast and the very very often scripts trapped by AnalogX. Living and learning. Thanks David.