Author Topic: MANAGED CLIENT (crash in aswTdi.sys)  (Read 6588 times)

MrEldorado

MANAGED CLIENT (crash in aswTdi.sys)
« on: November 17, 2005, 06:38:10 PM »
I am running the latest managed client (4.6.394) on a Windows 2000 SP4 server and I am still getting at least one BSOD daily on the aswtdi.sys driver.

It appears this was addressed with this release of the managed client however I still have the issue.  I intend on upgrading the operating system on this particular member server however I'm wondering if someone is aware this is still an issue.

Will the OS ugprade correct the problem or is there another workaround?

Dave
Phoenix, Arizona
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 11:48:12 PM by Vlk »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: MANAGED CLIENT (crash in aswTdi.sys)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 01:04:16 AM »
Will the OS ugprade correct the problem or is there another workaround?
Generally, OS upgrade requires uninstalling avast and installing it again after the OS upgrade. Different plataforms will require fresh installation (new drivers, etc.).

Also, you can search the board for the keyword aswtdi.sys and see if any suggestion helps  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 08:10:40 PM »
However it may sound unlikely, there's a bug in Windows code (NetBIOS code) starting with Windows NT and up to Win2K3 R2 that may, under certain circumstances, cause such a problem.

We have now, together with the MS engineers, identified the problem and found a work around that will let us modify the aswTdi.sys driver so that it won't crash the system any more. Simultaneously, MS will fix the bug in one of their upcoming Windows updates.

BTW The bug is already fixed in the latest Windows Vista builds.

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrEldorado

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 08:16:57 PM »
Vik,

How soon can I get my hands on your workaround?  I sent an email with the details to the support email address and this system is crashing daily....getting critical here.

I may be having the behavior on another system regarding the NetBIOS issues however it hasn't crashed yet.  The issues did start happening after removing Symantec and installing the managed client in it's place as well.  It too is Windows 2003 Standard Server however it runs SP1.  The problem system is not yet running SP1.

Dave

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:19:33 PM »
The update will be released this Saturday.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrEldorado

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 07:09:52 AM »
thanks Vik....will this be a public release?

MrEldorado

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 07:37:34 AM »
so far so good on the previous problem systems however I won't know if your recent release solved the problem until I get heavy load on the systems in a few hours.