Author Topic: not enough users  (Read 4438 times)

weesieO

not enough users
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:24:00 AM »
Information about current update:
Last encountered error: Not enough user rights to continue

home version 4.6  this is the message I am getting...it said there is a new version ...and click to download it ...when I do I get this message

Umath

Re: not enough users
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:59:04 AM »
Drill: Which OS are you on?

In any case, you don't seem to have user rights enough to continue the update installation procedure.  Make sure which user right currently you have and if you can, use an administrator account to initiate the update installation.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 12:05:27 PM »
The program can only be updated by the Administrator account (or user with Administrator rights).
The virus database could be updated by a common user.
The best things in life are free.

weesieO

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 12:10:16 AM »
Thanks for the reply...I hate to sound dumb but what is a Administrator account...and where do I find it.....I am sorry for asking probably stupid question,,I am running Windows XP and I have all the updates...thanks again

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 12:23:28 AM »
Windows Start menu / Control Panel / User Accounts (click on it) and see what does it say under your account. Is it Computer Administrator or Limited account ?

You have to have administrator rights.

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 01:12:03 AM »
Thanks for the reply...I hate to sound dumb but what is a Administrator account...and where do I find it.....I am sorry for asking probably stupid question,,I am running Windows XP and I have all the updates...thanks again

How to login as administrator: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/admins.htm

weesieO

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 01:08:17 AM »
I have done what you guys have said...but still no update....hadn't been having any problems until now....tried again tonight and still said not enough users....thanks

stickman

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 06:51:52 AM »
I also get the message "not enough user rights to continue."  I am already logged in as administrator on this, my home computer (a Win2K system)   :(

I seem to recall I had difficulties on the last program update too; checking email archives, I had to use a special uninstall tool from Avast before I could finish the job.  That was after cleaning the registry, trying to install in safe mode, etc.  I hope I don't have to go through all that again!  I sent an email yesterday about this problem, hope to get an answer early this week.

Umath

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 07:17:55 AM »
I seem to recall I had difficulties on the last program update too; checking email archives, I had to use a special uninstall tool from Avast before I could finish the job.  That was after cleaning the registry, trying to install in safe mode, etc.  I hope I don't have to go through all that again!  I sent an email yesterday about this problem, hope to get an answer early this week.

I am afraid to say that this seems to be a similar case.  I think it would be suitable for yous to wait Avast! team members to answer through e-mail/posts.

Yous may end up with what stickman went trough, though.  Just in case, I think the special tool which stickman mentioned is this one.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 01:53:53 PM »
I also get the message "not enough user rights to continue."  I am already logged in as administrator on this, my home computer (a Win2K system)
Is there any other user with Administrator rights besides the one you're logged?
More than one Administrator will bring problems to many programs...

weesieO

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 02:53:32 PM »
Event Type:   Warning
Event Source:   avast!
Event Category:   Client
Event ID:   90
Date:      11/20/2005
Time:      8:32:48 AM
User:      N/A
Computer:   WEESIE
Description:
Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000008, dwRes is 20000008. 

This is more infro...I got...anybody know what it means..thanks