Author Topic: SYMANTEC GHOST CORPORATE  (Read 3990 times)

MrEldorado

SYMANTEC GHOST CORPORATE
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:50:47 AM »
I can't see that this has been discussed anywhere on forum so I'll ask to see if anyone else has had this problem.  I have a server that is dedicated to handling machine cloning with the latest version of Symantec Ghost Corporate Edition.  This server also stores important ISO's and some installation files therefore it is important to protect it from viruses.

During our evaluation of many products we simply excluded the directory we stored our machines images in and it worked fine.  We migrated to Avast! after testing on many systems however not on this particular server.

The problem we are having now is with image corruption.  If we create a machine image it usually appears to work and the image can be manipulated with the Ghost Explorer to verify it is intact however if we try to use the image and distribute to another machine with an empty drive, it fails with an error regarding corrupt image.  We have pretty tight change control and this started happening immediately after we installed Avast!  We are running version 4.6.394 (managed client). 

My question is what I need to do to keep those images and that data flow to/from the server free from intrusions from Avast! during the transfer of data.  I've gone to the extent of excluding that folder and even turning off the network and standard real-time providers and no dice.

Has anyone else experieced this and/or is there a proper workaround for this particular problem?

Thanks,

Dave
Phoenix, Arizona

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: SYMANTEC GHOST CORPORATE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 08:06:10 PM »
Your saying that stopping the Standard Shield provider didn't have any effect on this... Hmm, this is the only component of Avast that I can imagine could be causing this...

Anyway, what if you stop ALL the providers (i.e. right click the avast tray icon and select "Stop all providers and exit")? Or what if you stop the "avast! antivirus" service? (Administrative Tools -> Services).

BTW sorry for the late reply :)

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MrEldorado

Re: SYMANTEC GHOST CORPORATE
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 08:12:59 PM »
I found the problem....

I suppose it was easy to blame the Avast! as it happened right after the installation of the managed client however it turns out that it was a corrupt disk that was imaged.  Put this one in the books.

Thanks for your reply