Author Topic: Avast firewall Disabled by Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 5657 times)

REDACTED

Avast firewall Disabled by Windows 10 upgrade
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:13:01 AM »
Hi, I recently upgraded from windows 8 to windows 10 and it has totally disabled my Avast firewall and replaced it with Windows defender.   I updated Avast hoping it would solve the issue, but it still says firewall is disabled and unavailable even when I go to the control panel add/delete programs to try and "repair" the only option is uninstall.  Its sooo annoying!  I want to kick mircrosoft to mars!  Can anyone help me get Avast back up and protecting my computer?  THANX!

REDACTED

Re: Avast firewall Disabled by Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 05:12:23 AM »
I'm using Avast Internet Security and this worked for me. The problem is not with the Avast software. When Windows 10 is installed it selects Windows Defender as the default antivirus/Internet security program. This blocks the Avast software from functioning properly. To fix this, you will need to go into the Windows 10 settings pages, and completely shut down Windows Defender. Open up the settings page and look for the securities tab. Open up the securities tab and look for Windows Defender in the menus sidebar. There are three items on the Windows Defender homepage: Real – time protection, cloud – based protection, and Sample submission. Turn off all three, close settings, and restart your computer. This should allow your Avast software to start up properly and block Windows defender.

REDACTED

Re: Avast firewall Disabled by Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:00:51 AM »
Thank you!  I experimented and went to my avast settings and reset it to default settings since I have never customized them and felt I had nothing to lose in trying.   Success! It applied the default settings and restarted my computer and hooray, my avast is working properly again!  I will now go to windows defender and do as you suggest, because Defender is now vying for control and keeps telling me I need to scan my computer because I might not be protected.    I know if I allow that it will override Avast again, so thank you for helping me to know what I need to do next to permanently thwart Defenders take over!  :)