Author Topic: aswRvrt.sys boot problem.  (Read 11493 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: aswRvrt.sys boot problem.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 10:30:19 PM »
No it is just that the last driver loaded was one of Avasts...  Google mup.sys for systems without Avast  and you will find that it affects all system from XP on

REDACTED

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 12:56:35 AM »
Can you maybe help me understand what happened here then, one day everything was fine and next day my pc wont boot and requires a reinstall. Im not looking to place blame im just trying to understand what happened, like i said in my op a google search brought me here so i assumed it was an issue with avast, am i wrong in assuming so?

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 02:41:06 AM »
Could that CHKDSK above be in the wrong partition?  It's only 30GB, 15 files.

I'm just trying to understand... If that is the OS partition, where are all the files?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:42:50 AM by davexnet »
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:12:35 PM »
The file locations are recorded on the MFT http://ntfs.com/ntfs-mft.htm
Each file on an NTFS volume is represented by a record in a special file called the master file table (MFT). NTFS reserves the first 16 records of the table for special information.

The first record of this table describes the master file table itself, followed by a MFT mirror record.

If the first MFT record is corrupted, NTFS reads the second record to find the MFT mirror file, whose first record is identical to the first record of the MFT. The locations of the data segments for both the MFT and MFT mirror file are recorded in the boot sector.
If that is corrupt then there is no location information for the location on the disc of the boot files
Chkdsk if it finds the MFT corrupt will try to find the mirror (backup) copy and use that, if that is corrupt then it might as well be an empty disc

Disk: 0 (Size: 29.8 GB) (Disk ID: 5268F47E)
Partition 1: (Active) - (Size=29.8 GB) - (Type=07 NTFS)
This is the only disc that FRST can see

Can you maybe help me understand what happened here then, one day everything was fine and next day my pc wont boot and requires a reinstall. Im not looking to place blame im just trying to understand what happened, like i said in my op a google search brought me here so i assumed it was an issue with avast, am i wrong in assuming so?
Not even MS has been able to determine what causes this error.  There are many different ways of fixing this from resetting the BIOS to read from SATA or IDE (dependant on the current setting) To removing any low level installed programmes via chkdsk.  But, the MS answer is always re-install 

REDACTED

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
ok np. thanks for trying to help. my friend did a reinstall and im back up and running again.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »
Sorry we could not resolve this any other way

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 07:13:21 PM »
The file locations are recorded on the MFT http://ntfs.com/ntfs-mft.htm
Each file on an NTFS volume is represented by a record in a special file called the master file table (MFT). NTFS reserves the first 16 records of the table for special information.

The first record of this table describes the master file table itself, followed by a MFT mirror record.

If the first MFT record is corrupted, NTFS reads the second record to find the MFT mirror file, whose first record is identical to the first record of the MFT. The locations of the data segments for both the MFT and MFT mirror file are recorded in the boot sector.
If that is corrupt then there is no location information for the location on the disc of the boot files
Chkdsk if it finds the MFT corrupt will try to find the mirror (backup) copy and use that, if that is corrupt then it might as well be an empty disc

Disk: 0 (Size: 29.8 GB) (Disk ID: 5268F47E)
Partition 1: (Active) - (Size=29.8 GB) - (Type=07 NTFS)
This is the only disc that FRST can see

Not even MS has been able to determine what causes this error.  There are many different ways of fixing this from resetting the BIOS to read from SATA or IDE (dependant on the current setting) To removing any low level installed programmes via chkdsk.  But, the MS answer is always re-install

Thanks for the info.  The thing that bothers me though is that CHKDSK says it "found no problems"
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free