Author Topic: Forum: Login problem  (Read 65474 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Forum: Login problem
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2015, 07:33:19 PM »
@ lakrsrool
You can change forum Profile Settings layout look for the >> or << (triangle icons) and that changes the width.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Thanks for that info DavidR, that's good to know and I appreciate the help.

You still do have to find the time-zone setting in "Look and Layout" which to me seems an odd place as opposed to having the time-zone setting in either "Account settings" (most logical) or "Account Profile" perhaps (see 1st attachment).

Also I notice I am missing an "Actions" button as compared to the image posted by bob3160 (see 2nd attachment), but that's OK thanks to bob3160 I now know how to get to the time-zone setting which is what is important.

My question at this point is what's up with the dialogue used in the purported "Email Change" (titled "manage emails") interface (see 3rd attachment).  bob3160 posted that it's to change an email address (which is well and good on it's face), but if we think about it besides the wording "Add New Email" which suggests "Add" instead of "Change" or "Replace" which would lead one to believe we are talking about "additional" emails and the concept of having a "Primary Email" setting connotes that there can be other email addresses simply because the word "Primary" connotes the existence of a "Secondary" of the same entity.   If you are replacing an email hence only one email exists then what does "Primary Email" even mean?  Makes no sense!!!   Also the interface is titled "MANAGE EMAILS" (plural) suggesting more than one email can be involved.

I think a reasonable person would agree that IF this interface is to replace or change a users singular email address then the wording used is extremely ambiguous and certainly totally confusing as to what the interface is supposed to do.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 10:33:13 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2015, 10:56:35 PM »
Don't worry about the missing button. It has nothing to do with the settings you needed to change.
Since we have different rankings in this forum, there are bound to be some differences.

Adding an email instead of changing is basically the same as adding a new credit card to change your credit card.
You need to add a new one before you can delete the current one.
There always needs to be an email address. You can have more than one email address but only one can be the default.
Default simply means it's the one that's actually used.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2015, 03:27:48 AM »
Don't worry about the missing button. It has nothing to do with the settings you needed to change.
Since we have different rankings in this forum, there are bound to be some differences.

Adding an email instead of changing is basically the same as adding a new credit card to change your credit card.
You need to add a new one before you can delete the current one.
There always needs to be an email address. You can have more than one email address but only one can be the default.
Default simply means it's the one that's actually used.

I thank you for your explanation bob and I sincerely do appreciate your attempt to explain the "Manage Emails" interface..... but....

Sorry Bob, I'm as confused as ever.... notice, precisely using your quoted words Bob..... "adding a credit card to change your credit card" suggests replacing a credit card not adding an additional card (your outlying reference to multiple CC's aside).  And considering we're discussing "digital records" and not  "physical credit cards" I'm at a loss to understand the parallel you're drawing in reference to a "need to add a new one before you can delete the current one", I think you would agree that clearly in terms of "digital records" the change from one email to another is instantaneous, no waiting involved.

Yes, we can agree "there always needs to be an email address", but "more than one", why?  In this context, what is the purpose?  This is what I'm asking about!  The reference to "Primary email" Avast mentions (you're calling "default") would seem to me to be superfluous if as you say "Default simply means it's the one that's actually used" (your words).  Do you understand my point, if there is only one email that is "primary" as Avast calls it or "default" as you call it, that is "actually used" as you say, then what is the need for "more than one email address" that "you [we] can have" as you've quoted above?

I think you're doing your best to make a square box fit into a round hole, but I'm afraid deductive logic makes your admiral effort problematic. This is evidenced by your obvious recognition that this "Manage Emails" interface references a "Primary Email" which would by definition connote that other emails may exist, yet at the same time it is evident that you also clearly recognize the reality that only one email can be in use which should lead you to recognize also by definition this makes the term "Primary Email" superfluous.  To be fair, I'm not sure if anyone can explain the context of this interface as it exits in a logical maner I'm afraid.

I agree with you, I see no need for more than one email and using that premise there is no need for the reference to "Primary email" when the fact of the matter is an email change will digitally be replaced at the time the change is made which makes the way the interface presents itself both ambiguous and confusing hence my posted question.  All of this is why we should be able to all agree that changing the only email used which is what one would think IS the purpose of this interface by definition relegates the term "Primary email" nonsensical.

If you've taken the time to read this far, perhaps you'll see my point, if not it's not really important except to say that it's clearly a difficult task to actually explain why the interface uses the terms it does if ultimately only one email is all that is used at any one time as we both agree would presumably be the case.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline davews

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2015, 11:24:22 AM »
This thread is drifting off the original subject, ie the login to the Avast forum. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the AV program itself and is purely a problem with javascript or server scripting on the Avast site. This is confirmed by those on the Palemoon forum who don't even have Avast installed on their machines, they get exactly the same yellow triangle at the forum login page. See the thread at:
http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9087
and in particular the posts today at the bottom of page 2.
Can I please get Avast staff and their representatives on here to realise that this is NOT an Avast virus scanner issue but website scripting on the forum site. Doing changes to the AV engine will have absolutely no effect on the problem.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
This thread is drifting off the original subject, ie the login to the Avast forum. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the AV program itself and is purely a problem with javascript or server scripting on the Avast site. This is confirmed by those on the Palemoon forum who don't even have Avast installed on their machines, they get exactly the same yellow triangle at the forum login page. See the thread at:
Can I please get Avast staff and their representatives on here to realise that this is NOT an Avast virus scanner issue but website scripting on the forum site. Doing changes to the AV engine will have absolutely no effect on the problem.
Nothing new when the master of novels starts to post in any topic. :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2015, 06:22:26 PM »

Your absolutely correct davews (my apologies).... and on that point you beat me to posting this, CLICK HERE for the latest post of many references to what needs to be done on Avast end to fix this issue:
Quote from:  Matt A Tobin - Pale Moon add-ons team
This has NOTHING to do with their Antivirus product.. It has to do with their javascript and/or server side scripting. THIS MUST BE WHAT YOU COMMUNICATE TO THEM.

I don't know about you davews, but sometimes I just wish there was a way to send a Pale Moon developer to Avast to get things in order regarding this issue.  ;)  ... as you have posted previously "this is a forum login issue, hardly rocket science", one would think a simple patch to the Avast Account login procedure would be all that's needed to address the issue in quick order.  ???

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2015, 06:00:39 AM »
Great news, I found in the Pale Moon forum that Avast has fixed the problem, SURE ENOUGH, IT'S FIXED WITH Pale Moon for the current version and the  next release based on tests as reported by Pale Moon developers.

THANK YOU AVAST.  :)  :) :) :) :)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2015, 06:16:22 AM »

But we'll see, I told bob3160 that I would touch bases with him in another 90 days and see where we stand at that point.  I'd certainly like to be wrong and instead be pleasantly surprised to find out bob3160 is correct in the end, but I'm afraid I'll instead be asking bob3160 to come up with another excuse and another dead-line date.  ;)

Prove me wrong Avast!!

I'm lovin' being wrong!!!!!  (short and sweat Bob ;))

You are totally wrong.
avast is currently trying to make it work with Palemoon, but it is not "snapping with the fingers ét voila solved".

Somehow it seems that many people (especially the young ones) have forgotten (or don't know) what patience is.

Hey Eddy, the old ones too, (what's the adage, "patience is golden"......  so where's my slice of crow pie?  ;)

Offline davews

« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2015, 08:31:59 AM »
Just logged in, yes it works!!!! Many thanks for solving this.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2015, 08:51:39 AM »
Just logged in, yes it works!!!! Many thanks for solving this.

Sent you a PM on this earlier from Pale Moon forum.  It's really great being able to us the Avast forum in the best browser!!!!  :)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2015, 12:34:05 PM »
I had no problem logging in using Pale Moon just now but couldn't install the Avast Online Security plug in because it's not compatible with version 25.8.0.

@lakrsrool

In my opinion, Pale Moon isn't the best browser.  On my computer Firefox is my default browser and the pages load a lot faster than they do on Pale Moon.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 12:43:09 PM by -midnight »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2015, 06:55:02 PM »
I had no problem logging in using Pale Moon just now but couldn't install the Avast Online Security plug in because it's not compatible with version 25.8.0.

@lakrsrool

In my opinion, Pale Moon isn't the best browser.  On my computer Firefox is my default browser and the pages load a lot faster than they do on Pale Moon.

NOTE: As reflected by the subsequent post by bob3160, what I understood to be the case based on my FFv40 is not the case for FF42 as I incorrectly stated below, the "Avast Online Security" add-on has been "signed" by Avast.  Good news, and thanks to bob3160 for succinctly pointing this out. The applicable comments in this post that are incorrect as reflected by the added information provided subsequent to this post have been lined-out below (as noted since I do not use FF42 for the reasons mentioned below I would not personally be aware of this information regarding FF42 unfortunately).

In regards to the plugin "Avast Online Security", if you've got the current version of Firefox then this plugin isn't working for you in the Firefox browser eitherCorrection: this plugin does apparently work with FF42, however with the exception of line-out comments all other comments below do still apply, that is based on my opinion.  ;)

If you notice in the attachment, even in FF version 40 I get a warning, as of FF version 42 this "Avast Online Security" add-on is incompatible with FF as I understand and THIS IS WHY: Firefox is About to Become an Almost Complete Copy of Chrome which is why I have stopped ALL FF updates as of version 40 and more importantly is why I have switched to Pale Moon as my default browser.  So you've got the same situation with this add-on no matter what browser.  Firefox seems to be abandoning its big advantage and becoming even more Chrome-like all the time. Fact is Firefox Has Been Following in Chrome’s Footsteps for Years, why would I want to continue in this direction when I've got an alternative in Pale Moon that in my opinion is better because it promises to preserve it's own identity unlike FF and Opera who apparently just want to join the crowd at becoming a Chrome-clone.  Is that what you really want?  I went to FF because it was different and provided unique user options not because it is like any other browser.

As to page load speed, I actually find PM to load a tad faster that FF, but that all depends upon many factors including add-ons used presumably (so I'm not surprise as far as what you experience).  Either way the difference I find in this regard is admittedly minimal, however I can say PM (and FF for that matter) most definitely loads pages far quicker than current versions of either Chrome or IE.  And I would add that I've found PM to be more stable than FF for that matter and I have found that Firefox will occasionally "misfire" on launch and load a blank page instead of start-up that PM never does.  Also the Element hiding filter works far better in Pale Moon than any other browser I've tried including FF of which sometimes for Firefox or Chrome this add-on will not function at all.

Pale Moon provides far more UI options many of which other browsers have removed over the years and if you don't like the default position of the tabs above content preferring instead the prevailing Australis look with tabs at the top instead (which I incidentally prefer) or you either do or don't want the status bar displayed that has been unilaterally eliminated in recent browsers the remarkable flexibility of the Pale Moon UI Layout options DISCUSSED HERE will accommodate in any case. It is baffling to me why there aren't far more Pale Moon users than there are considering the excellent reliability, quickness, great support and superior flexibility you get with this browser. In reference to “support”, I defy anyone to suggest that their browser support even comes close to what users get as far as very often quick less than 24 hour answers from a developer (this is not to say this is always the case obviously but far more times it will be than not), generally it’s a surprise to even get any answer at all from anybody with most browsers.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:10:59 PM by lakrsrool »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #133 on: November 28, 2015, 07:28:29 PM »

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2015, 08:04:40 PM »
@lakrsrool,

I use Firefox ESR.