Author Topic: Forum: Login problem  (Read 65134 times)

Offline stibi

Re: Forum: Login problem
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2015, 07:26:46 PM »
As of today the login also doesn't work when Using Opera (12.17)

No - it is my actual used Opera Version, since newer versions don't run properly  ;-)
And makes a very large amount of workload.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2015, 10:42:53 PM »
I found what can cause the Avast forum login to fail to work for ALL browsers (for those that have found they were unable to login to the Avast forum).  If you use a different email address for logging into the Avast Account (my.avast.com) than you have for the Avast forum then you won't be logged into the forum (OK, makes sense so far), but what this also does is make the "login" button in the Avast forum totally non-functional (Oops, doesn't make sense).

This is because Avast has linked the forum login to the Avast account login (my.avast.com), so then why have a login link in the Avast forum at all?  That is, since the user is either automatically successfully logged into the Avast forum when they login to their Avast Account using their "matching" Avast Account login ID or is not successfully logged into the Avast forum in the event the Avast Account (my.avast.com) login does not "match" the Avast login ID on file and there's nothing else to be done either way.  On the other hand, if the user finds they are not logged into the Avast forum account one would still in this case not expect the login link that displays on the Avast forum interface to basically be totally non-functional and simply do absolutely nothing which is what happens in this case.  It seems to me that the login button in the Avast forum has become perhaps confusing, redundant and clearly sketchy because all it does now is trigger the login to the Avast Account (my.avast.com) interface.  And if the user logs into an Avast account that is not linked to the users forum account then the login link still remains displayed in the Avast forum (because the user is NOT logged into the forum in this case) but is currently a totally non-functional button at that point.

Epiphany, if the "Login Button" doesn't work in these cases then how about providing the user with an explanation as to why it doesn't work?  How about prompt the user they must login using the same ID and PWD as they currently have for the Avast Account?.... Uh, hmmm, but wait... in the case of a new Avast Account ID this would not actually exist for the Avast forum.... hmmm, it appears a Catch-22 is developing here apparently because if we create an Avast forum ID to match the new Avast Account ID then oops we have no more past Avast forum user history obviously.

So then we're stuck with having to renew an account to the same email account ID that needs to match the Avast Forum email ID that in some cases might involve an email address that no longer exists at the present time.  Epiphany once again, Houston we've got a problem..... Great!!!!  If I'm not mistaken it appears we've unfortunately reached an impasse that Avast apparently did not take the time to think out.

Avast needs to in my view take a different approach. Avast is expecting people to always be able to keep the same email address for the renewal (in order to sync the Avast forum for that user).  I've now actually found that up to now I've personally got 3 different Avast accounts all with different information because I've renewed under 3 different email addresses over the past 15+ years using Avast.

The problem is that with this new "single-sign-on" approach the Avast forum is now linked to the email address of just ONE of those Avast account email address ID's.  And if you either don't recall the email address ID previously used or are unable to login to the email address ID that exists for your Avast forum (because it maybe that the former email address may no longer exist) then you've got problems.

So what happens if a person no longer uses a previously used email address?  Avast, did you think of that possibility? Does the user in this case lose their entire Avast forum history?  I presume then a user has to go to the trouble of having Avast transfer all of the Avast forum account information over to the new Avast Account login email address ID to sync the two accounts again.  Seems a bit cumbersome to me.

It appears that Avast has not thought this entire "all-in-one" login out very thoroughly.  The entire approach creates problems and to have a "Login Button" in an Avast forum that simply becomes totally non-functional with no explanation to the user in these type of matters certainly doesn't help either.  Really, didn't Avast think this out at all?

I don't know, this all makes me a little worried about the Avast app itself if Avast can't even appropriately figure out their login interface procedure.

Maybe I'm wrong here somewhere, if so please explain, I'll be happy to hear there's an answer that I'm overlooking.  I have to admit, for me the whole "single sign-on" approach is a bit confusing as to how in the way this login approach is used will actually work very well under all circumstances that may arise.

And of course now we're having growing problems with various browser compatibility issues with this new "single sign-on" approach that Avast has decided to use.

Please provide feedback.  :)

Btw, sorry, I know it's long bob3160, I apologize for that, but then if you think about it sometimes a full explanation in order to gain a thorough understanding of an issue requires people to have to read a little more than they might want.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 10:59:17 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:25 PM »
Login trough facebook is also not working anymore.
Don't know if this is related to normal logins.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2015, 11:02:01 PM »
If you clear all current Avast Cookies I'll bet it then works (until it breaks again later of course).  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2015, 11:27:02 PM »
You just lost that bet  ;D

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2015, 12:35:15 AM »
Oh well, it ain't the first time and probably won't be the last  ;D

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2015, 12:45:23 AM »
Must have been a server problem on Avast's end. It's working again:
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2015, 01:11:30 AM »
<snip image>

Generally I view my.avast.com via my browser - mainly because I don't like the restricted size of the UI which can't be resized.

However by way of a confirmation, I have been able to login to my avast account.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2015, 01:28:05 AM »
The recently reported problems logging in have been via Opera browser and using Facebook presumably using any browser.  And of course the ongoing issue with the Pale Moon browser that has already been documented many times.

Other methods to login would presumably work OK.  So the issues are interface specific.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »

I notice in your attachment that you've got the "Licenses" message "There are no licenses that can be used for you current device." (as is the case for me no matter which account of the 3 accounts that I've been able to find so far that all say this as well).

So I guess the above is what we should see for a FREE Avast account, right?

On a side note, I notice that Avast spells "licenses" this way but when registering it's spelled "licence" by Avast in that interface.  Not at all a critical point of course, just sort of an interesting point of inconsistency is all.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2015, 03:23:32 PM »

I notice in your attachment that you've got the "Licenses" message "There are no licenses that can be used for you current device." (as is the case for me no matter which account of the 3 accounts that I've been able to find so far that all say this as well).

So I guess the above is what we should see for a FREE Avast account, right?

On a side note, I notice that Avast spells "licenses" this way but when registering it's spelled "licence" by Avast in that interface.  Not at all a critical point of course, just sort of an interesting point of inconsistency is all.
You'll see the same in free or paid. (Notice this is snapshot of Avast IS.)
To see any licenses you actually need to click on Licenses:

That's when you can see any licenses you may own or have owned:

At this point, you can also "Renew" an expired license or "Get" a new license:
Renew takes you directly to the website to renew the license for the product.

Get a new license brings up the following:

Once you make a purchase selection, you'll be taken to the appropriate website.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2015, 05:20:06 PM »
Thanks bob3160, after checking out the "Account" page in more detail I'm impressed, there's a plethora of information available to the user that I wasn't aware of all this time.  I've never really bothered to even look at this page.  In fact before looking into this login problem as of yesterday I've actually never logged into the page via the Avast AV interface to even be able to see any of this.

bob3160, you don't need to bother to read any further if you don't want to since I'm expanding on the topic below and it's admittedly a bit verbose and perhaps to some a bit meandering.  :)  So thanks again for the info.

Of course each of my accounts have different what I guess are "reward levels" and as I've pointed out I've learned that I've got to login to the Avast Account in the AV UI that matches my Avast Forum login user ID (email account) otherwise I am unable to use the Avast forum with any browser and as I've mentioned the login "button" in the Avast forum is non-functional unless I've logged into the Avast Account (my.avast.com) that corresponds to the Avast forum ID (email account).

So apparently when I log into Avast using the Avast AV UI this logs me into my.avast.com and theoretically logs me into the Avast forum as well as long as I'm logging into the Avast Account that is what is on file for the Avast forum which is what makes this new "single sign-on" approach that Avast has decided to use a bit sketchy as pointed out in my previous post.  So this "single sign-on" approach involves the access to 3 interfaces (maybe more that I'm unaware of) which are 1) the website Avast account access (my.avast.com), 2) the Avast UI "Account" page, 3) the Avast forum.  From what I can see however the Avast UI "Account" page is logged into separately but once logged in will impact the other two Avast Account interfaces depending upon what Account is logged into.  In other words, doing a login via either the website login (my.avast.com or using the logon "button" in the Avast forum logs into both the website Account interface (my.avast.com) and the Avast forum but NOT the the Avast UI Account page.  On the other hand the Avast UI Account page does impact the other two Avast account interfaces I just mentioned.  Both a bit confusing and a bit sketchy and as we know not without "bugs" and doesn't cover all possible scenarios that might involve for example email account that can no longer be used i.e. say the email account has been subsequently closed.

But anyway, thanks again bob3160 in the event you've actually taken the time to read to this point, there's a lot of good system info provided in that Avast UI "Account" page.

Offline nana3

« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
I am still unable to login to this forum via Pale Moon while I can do it via IE11 and the latest Firefox.  I don't remember my avast account sign in password but that should be of no value since I can sign in with the above-mentioned browsers but NOT with Pale Moon.  So that must be another problem.  This has been going on for MONTHS now. 

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2015, 11:20:19 PM »
I am still unable to login to this forum via Pale Moon while I can do it via IE11 and the latest Firefox.  I don't remember my avast account sign in password but that should be of no value since I can sign in with the above-mentioned browsers but NOT with Pale Moon.  So that must be another problem.  This has been going on for MONTHS now.

As posted in this topic there is a problem ticket with Avast support on this issue so Avast is aware of the problem with their login using Pale Moon.  Notice on the previous page you will find the current progress on this problem ticket by clicking HERE.

Offline nana3

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2015, 06:16:53 AM »
Thanks for the reply. 

The fact that Avast knows about the problem does not guarantee that they will fix it as the problem was posted on Sept 28 2015, a fix was asked by me then and nothing has happened so far. 

Do Avast WANT to fix it or are they unable to fix it - that's the question.  I've lost faith in Avast! 

The problem with signing in to Avast is and has been discussed in numerous forums.  Doesn't bode well for Avast's name......
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 06:19:57 AM by nana3 »