Author Topic: Forum: Login problem  (Read 65133 times)

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
Re: Forum: Login problem
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2015, 01:28:04 AM »
I tried logging in with one of my three administrator accounts (don't know how I could have three), yesterday morning.  Used the same password as I do on my local administrator account  but it wouldn't work so I clicked on forgot password and the option to change password was sent to my hotmail account.  I clicked on the link to change my password and  typed in the password that I always use, then was able to log on to my administrator account.  ???
That always works when you swear your using the right password but it's not the one you actually used.
Been there, done that.
A computer doesn't forget. Users often do and usually blame the computer.  :) (It's the human thing to do.)

Isn't that the truth.... :)

I can't count the times I could swear I knew the right password but for some reason it didn't work. :-\

.... and the bigger problem is I can't even account for it based on age since it's been happening to me all my life!!!  ;)

I was using the right password.   Have no idea why it didn't work on my administrator account. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 01:46:38 AM by -midnight »

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2015, 01:45:28 AM »
Well I experienced that just as my alter ego went to log-in at WOT. As a security precaution they removed the password and you had to change passwords and had to fill out a Captcha to be able to again log-on. Good against website log-in insecurities or eventual attackers. I praise them for that.
I remember an old trick of an IT admin that always first gave in a wrong password and only in the second instance came up with the right one. Password and rhymes they can be a real pain in the proverbial parts. I all wish you a smooth log-on and Avast's security both offline and online,

polonus

You just reminded my of my Catch-22 situation with WOT, I keep a file with all my passwords (and as I've posted previously about forgetting them, well I sometimes forget to put them in the file when created of course as well) and using that password wasn't working for WOT weeks ago.  So I was clicking on the link to reset the password and I get messages on the webpage (see attachment) an email will arrive telling me what to do, but emails never do arrive.

Now I find out on the webstite (just as you've posted) that they've reset all passwords, great, so I was wondering why my password wouldn't work and I'm STILL wondering why I get no emails when I'm supposed to from them.

It very well could be that I no longer use the email account anymore but I've tried all my emails I have now and it never arrives.

These idiot developers should use their brains more and realize that email accounts do get closed from time to time and provide another method to contact them, but no they don't thing about that possibility at all.  So I've got essentially a DEAD ACCOUNT that I can't login to and can't get the password reset.  And I'm not going to create another account just because these idiots can't think of all possibilities of what might occur (like closed email accounts) because I like my ID and don't want to change it (and of course I cannot create the same ID as it already exists).

Sometimes I wonder if these guys have any brains at all, don't they think about all possible scenarios at all?

Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2015, 01:49:41 AM »
I tried logging in with one of my three administrator accounts (don't know how I could have three), yesterday morning.  Used the same password as I do on my local administrator account  but it wouldn't work so I clicked on forgot password and the option to change password was sent to my hotmail account.  I clicked on the link to change my password and  typed in the password that I always use, then was able to log on to my administrator account.  ???
That always works when you swear your using the right password but it's not the one you actually used.
Been there, done that.
A computer doesn't forget. Users often do and usually blame the computer.  :) (It's the human thing to do.)

Isn't that the truth.... :)

I can't count the times I could swear I knew the right password but for some reason it didn't work. :-\

.... and the bigger problem is I can't even account for it based on age since it's been happening to me all my life!!!  ;)

I was using the right password period!  Have no idea why it didn't work on my administrator account.

Speaking for myself, seriously, I'm not doubting what you say at all (nothing is infallible as we know, who am I to say the database didn't get corrupted in some manner, it's happened before or more likely human error on their part actually maintaining a Database)  You would agree however that most of the time it's a case of forgetting passwords, right?

..... Just not in your case.  ;)
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline midnight

• Massive Poster
  • Never Be Rude
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2015, 01:53:00 AM »
I did not forget my password.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2015, 02:15:45 AM »
Back to the idiot WOT developers, so they reset my password and I need to have them send me an email to fix the situation but in the event I've apparently closed the email account (since no emails arrive) or they've got that record wrong too (my email address wrong) and therefore I can't get the necessary instructions to be able to login. 

And if that isn't enough........ when I go to the forum to ask what to do (since they have no other contact available of course) wouldn't you know it I've got to login to the forum to let them know I'm unable to login.

IDIOTS!!!!  So they design an elaborate software program and don't even consider the possibility that someone might either forget their address of record or the account might at some point be closed!!!!!!

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2015, 03:38:32 AM »
Creating another account with WOT to login to their forum to let them know I can't login was an experience to be remembered, their messages when the login information is inadequate are cutoff on the browser, the messages are incorrect (I have what they require but they don't think so re: password), they will say the CAPTCHA is incorrect when the did not even prompt for a CAPTCHA in the first place.  I find out I have to allow "google.com" so the CAPTCHA will work.  And when I finally get into the forum Support Page I see a long list of posters not only complaining about all of the above but the situation I'm experiencing getting the password reset to an account that already exists but is inaccessible because WOT isn't able to do what they need to do to reset the password.  And all of this because WOT decides to reset ALL passwords because they want to go from 6 digits to 8 digits. WOW

Offline davews

« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »
Not sure why there is all the talk on here about trying to login with the wrong password. In Palemoon we don't even get to a login page where we can type a username/password in, just a blank page with an exclamation mark in an orange triangle.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2015, 02:50:58 PM »
Not sure why there is all the talk on here about trying to login with the wrong password. In Palemoon we don't even get to a login page where we can type a username/password in, just a blank page with an exclamation mark in an orange triangle.
Avast has already acknowledged that it's not currently supporting PaleMoon.
Until it does, you have 2 choices, continue to use PaleMoon without Avast or, use a supported browser.
The main part of Avast is still protecting you.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline davews

« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »
I hear what you say Bob, but that was not what was implied in the emails I received from Support. One thing I find particularly unhelpful in these forums is the negative and at times hostile attitude by some of the "Überevangelists", surely you are here to help not to take sides. For what it is worth I have currently moved over to Firefox as my main browser but would dearly like this issue and a couple of others sorted so that I can continue to support Palemoon. If the attitude on here continues I may well abandon Avast as well, there are plenty of other AVs out there.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
This has nothing to do with hostility but simply with reporting the facts as they have been pointed
out in various parts of this forum.
There aren't any sides to take since this is simply a matter or fact. Using a sparely used browser brings these sort of
problems.
Since I use many different browsers, it's something I run into often and something I've learned to accept.
If this was a popular browser and, not supported, I could understand an urgency.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2015, 06:46:15 PM »
OK, we can all agree that Pale Moon clearly does not rank up there with many of the more popular browsers, it's not even close and this is a fact.  But I understand it is also a fact that not supporting Pale Moon still amounts to dismissing just over 1½-2 million users since it is also a fact that this is the estimated number of current Pale Moon users.  Again, I'm not denying that Chrome and Firefox for example doesn't have probably 25 times and 10 times the number of users, respectively. And I'm not saying this is not a legitimate factor to point out either.  But at the same time I think we should also all agree that it would certainly be nice for Avast to help out the disenfranchised 1½-2 million users who really do like Avast and therefore want to us Avast as their AV that just happen to also like and want to use Pale Moon as their browser of choice.  :)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
OK, we can all agree that Pale Moon clearly does not rank up there with many of the more popular browsers, it's not even close and this is a fact.  But I understand it is also a fact that not supporting Pale Moon still amounts to dismissing just over 1½-2 million users since it is also a fact that this is the estimated number of current Pale Moon users.  Again, I'm not denying that Chrome and Firefox for example doesn't have probably 25 times and 10 times the number of users, respectively. And I'm not saying this is not a legitimate factor to point out either.  But at the same time I think we should also all agree that it would certainly be nice for Avast to help out the disenfranchised 1½-2 million users who really do like Avast and therefore want to us Avast as their AV that just happen to also like and want to use Pale Moon as their browser of choice.  :)
Not being able to using sign in to Avast on PaleMoon certainly doesn't mean you can't use Avast.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2015, 05:54:55 PM »
OK, I have submitted a ticket:
Ticket ID: 13797   Subject: Forum login problems with Palemoon browser
Will see what happens if anything.

Well davews, I just received an email from Avast support this morning informing me that my ticket is now closed:

We have not heard from you in several days regarding the ticket below.

Ticket ID: 21898

Subject: Avast forum login problems with Palemoon browser. An error appears as an orange triangle with only a partial forum page displayed. The issue has been well documented in various forum including Avast and Pale Moon forums.

If you do not need any more help, we will consider this ticket closed.

I had no idea I needed to keep a line of communication open by continuing to contact Support regarding the ticket but rather it was my impression that the ticket would remain open as long as the issue persisted and we would be contacted on any progress.

Davews, wasn't it your impression that we would be informed of any progress regarding our tickets and if this is the case then wouldn't you think that this would require our Tickets to stay open in order to do this?

Offline nana3

« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2015, 08:40:28 PM »
Shame on Avast! for refusing to acknowledge Pale Moon as a valid browser!!!!!!!!!

Not customer friendly at all.  Your only mission is to promote Google browser because you probably get $$$ from them.  Wait until Firefox will loose even more customers in the future.... will you then kick your Firefox customers also to the curb? 

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Avast and am sure that many Pale Moon customers feel the same way!   >:(   >:(   >:(   
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:42:09 PM by nana3 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2015, 09:10:32 PM »
Shame on Avast! for refusing to acknowledge Pale Moon as a valid browser!!!!!!!!!

Not customer friendly at all.  Your only mission is to promote Google browser because you probably get $$$ from them.  Wait until Firefox will loose even more customers in the future.... will you then kick your Firefox customers also to the curb? 

I am EXTREMELY disappointed in Avast and am sure that many Pale Moon customers feel the same way!   >:(   >:(   >:(   

First I'm an avast user who has been using avast for eleven and a half years (not an avast employee).

It has nothing to do with Avast! refusing to acknowledge Pale Moon as a valid browser, it is about its small userbase and it being 64bit. Originally avast only supported the three main browsers of the day Netscape Navigator, Internet Explorer and if I recall correctly Mozilla Browser (pre-dates firefox by many years). No chrome back then.

Avast has continued to expand the supported browsers, but it hasn't added them all at once and the programming effort has been applied on a market share/user base order of priority. But for the most part avast is set up to try and support all 32bit browsers html protocol, that you can see in the default settings (attached image).

Some browsers using html however, aren't able to work so have to be restriced to avast only scanning well known browsers.

As far as I'm aware avast are working on firefox 64bit which has recently been slated for release - so that in itself should be good news for Pale Moon, a 64bit browser based on firefox, yes/no, I just don't know.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security