Author Topic: Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1.1 ABS switching Wi-Fi on  (Read 5276 times)

Offline || \\ hipstar // ||

Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1.1 ABS switching Wi-Fi on
« on: June 03, 2015, 03:11:37 PM »
Good afternoon,
I have read a few posts and am aware there is an issue with Avast Battery Saver (ABS) and Wi-Fi control, however, I thought this one was slightly different.

Since installing ABS it is turning on my Wi-Fi and connecting to a saved SSID (which had previously been manually turned off).
I have every profile set to Manual and Wi-Fi OFF.

HISTORY:
I manually turn on Wi-Fi and connect to an SSID. I browse the internet and then turn off Wi-Fi. I leave the phone for an indeterminate time and my Wi-Fi is on (draining battery: how ironic). I have experimented and became convinced it was ABS so uninstalled it. Problem went.
I have then re-installed ABS and the problem returned.

Even putting "Wi-Fi>Advanced>Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Never does not stop it turning on my Wi-Fi and connecting to a previously saved SSID.

I can Forget the SSID and the problem goes, however, every time i connect to the SSID the problem returns.......

Anyone got any ideas before i'm forced to uninstall and await a patch please?

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
Re: Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1.1 ABS switching Wi-Fi on
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
Hi hipstar,

I'm not sure if this is actually a bug or just a configuration issue.

By default the profiles have set Internet (or Wifi if you're on Android 5 or higher) to Optimized On, which means that the Wifi will be turned ON if there's some known Wifi network around. When the device sleeps, Internet (or just Wifi if on Android 5) should be turned OFF/ON periodically according to the Synchronization period (in Advanced settings of each Profile).

If you turn Wifi manually OFF, it should stay of until the next Profile change.

You said that you set every profile to Wifi OFF, which should in fact keep the Wifi OFF at all times. What I don't understand is that you set the Profiles to "Manual"? If you mean the Manual / Automatic mode, that's just for switching between the Profiles - if it should happen automatically based on some conditions, or if you're going to do it manually when you want.

What could also help, is what device, Android version and carrier do you have?

Thanks

Ondra

Offline || \\ hipstar // ||

Re: Nexus 5 Lollipop 5.1.1 ABS switching Wi-Fi on
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in responding.

I'm on a Nexus 5, using Android 5.1.1 via Virgin mobile network.

Perhaps you are correct in that it was simply a Synchronization period connecting to a known WiFi.

Many thanks,

al