Author Topic: Windows 10 crash due to avast  (Read 15368 times)

REDACTED

Windows 10 crash due to avast
« on: August 07, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Hi I know myself and a few other users who have updated to windows 10 and have had a problem with the start menu and cortana crashing and the only fix was to uninstall avast. This was only recently and after I had updated avast with windows 10 working perfectly beforehand. Was wondering if this has been fixed?? or when it would be

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Windows 10 crash due to avast
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:29:21 AM »
Were you using the latest 2225 version of Avast?

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 11:27:21 AM »
I have exactly the same problem on win 10 pro (clean)  with newest available Avast build installed. Although I'm not sure that it is really caused by Avast, because it happens quite randomly.. Start icon sometimes becomes unresponsive and when I log out and log in, I get "critical error" message about Cortana and Start not working. The only solution is full reboot..

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
No problems with Cortana or the start menu here on windows 10..  It is probably another programme that you have installed

REDACTED

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
Other programs - in my case it's CDBurnerXP latest, Adobe Reader latest, Firefox latest, WinRAR latest. That's all at the moment.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 06:16:10 PM »
Ah I have none of those

Offline Dijenga

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 05:01:04 AM »
Having the same problem. The only solution is a full UNINSTALL of Avast. Short of that, rebooting from a complete power down does not fix the problem.

I log in, and open control panel (had to place a shortcut on the desktop), UNINSTALL Avast. Restart the computer and everything works well.

Did better this time, the install lasted almost a week before taking a header and crashing my computer.

Guess I need to find another solution because I don't live to UNINSTALL and REINSTALL software unless you folks have a solution to the constant crashing.

Online CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 06:10:53 AM »
Having the same problem. The only solution is a full UNINSTALL of Avast. Short of that, rebooting from a complete power down does not fix the problem.

I log in, and open control panel (had to place a shortcut on the desktop), UNINSTALL Avast. Restart the computer and everything works well.

Did better this time, the install lasted almost a week before taking a header and crashing my computer.

Guess I need to find another solution because I don't live to UNINSTALL and REINSTALL software unless you folks have a solution to the constant crashing.
Are you using the newest release https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=176600.0 ? if so then please try a clean install, uninstall Avast first from Programs and Features then run avastclean and follow with reinstalling a fresh copy of the latest release which should be downloaded and saved prior to removing your existing copy.

Also run vendors removal tools for any other AV's you may have used in the past to remove remnants which could possibly cause conflicts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 06:13:03 AM by CraigB »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 02:52:34 PM »
This is a windows problem and is not related to Avast... Check the MS insider forum and there is a lot there since Cortana was released a few months ago. 

The MS answer that works is reboot to safe mode then back to normal mode and it has gone

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_cortana/cortana-crashing-w-start-menu-in-build-10074/e4639cce-0a21-4c4b-b79f-18bb8055319e?auth=1
http://www.filecritic.com/how-to-fix-the-start-menu-cortana-critical-error-in-windows-10/
http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/critical-error-start-menu-and-cortana-arent-working.2002/

Plus many many more

Offline ragukvn

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:25:26 PM »
Guys I found a solution and worked for me ;D

Here it is....
  • Install Avast Antivirus but don't restart the system
    Now right clicking the avast icon on the task bar -> avast shields control -> disable until computer is restarted
    Now right click on the task bar ->select task manager -> select more details (if it is only in simple view) -> select startup tab
    right click on Avast! Antivisrus -> disable it
    Now restart your computer
    Now manually run Avast
    Now again select task manager -> select more details (if it is only in simple view) -> select startup tab
    right click on Avast! Antivisrus -> enable it.

So... now its done.
Check it now

Have fun  ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:53 PM »
ragukvn, is there any reason why you are poluting this webboard with the post while it is totally unrelated nor relevant to a OP's post?