Author Topic: Avast = Slow Network Speeds??  (Read 13487 times)

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
Re: Avast = Slow Network Speeds??
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:36 AM »
bassmadrigal,

just a question on the connection.  When you went to your friend's house how exactly were the two systems connected?  Directly, via a router, via hub?  Manufacturer of the connector?

Just curious since I have a file transfer speed issue too.

bassmadrigal

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2005, 10:26:02 AM »
We connected through a switch (not a router). The switch was a five port linksys. The cables I made myself. But I am not sure if the connection would be an issue because my speed goes back to normal after I disable Avast.

Thanks
Jeremy

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2005, 10:32:41 AM »
Thanks for the info, not the same as mine.

I am pretty convinced that my 4 port linksys wireless router is preventing my systems connecting at anything higher than 10 Mbps rather than 100 Mbps.   

Disabling avast (or firewall) does nothing in my situation to improve the connection speed. 

Anyway, thanks for your response

bassmadrigal

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 11:05:20 AM »
Not trying to make you sound stupid or anything, but if you are trying to connect a wireless device with a wired, you will only get the speed of the wireless device. Other things to check are the cables. Cables that are wired for 10MBit will still only operate at that speed even if both devices are 100MBit. 100MBit are backwards compatible. Another thing is to make sure all your network drivers are up to date.

How are you transfering your files?? FTP? Windows file sharing? etc

Good Luck
Jeremy

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 11:14:54 AM »
I used to get superb speeds with windows file sharing, so the wiring is not the issue.  This was between two wired devices.

One day the speeds were gone.  The files transfers are not critical to me and I let time pass, at first I though the change was the SP2 upgrade to XP but looking back I am fairly sure it was the last firmware upgrade I made to my (now ancient) 2001 linksys router (somewhat confirmed by experiences of others reported for that device too). 

Probably time for me just to buy a new box.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:16:44 AM by alanrf »