Author Topic: I kept getting request to download setup.exe from admin.magnodown.com and...  (Read 5144 times)

REDACTED

So I downloaded this .exe file as I kept getting a message for it and being suspicious I run it in the avast sandbox. It started a setup which I allowed to run and see what Avast does. Suddenly avast gave the virus message and the computer became nonresponsive for a few seconds until I did CTRL+ALT+DEL and then it went back to usual desktop. The malicious program looked like a adobe setup and said setup completed, which I know is fake. However, it also generated an error message saying it is not getting required previleges from administrator before the compuer screen became blank for a few seconds.

Later I deleted the .exe. I ran virus scan and all was clean. I also tried to find why I was getting this request and it seems it has to do with bittorrent which I have removed from my machine.

Do I need to format the computer? Has my security and data protection been compromised? What do I do next?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
do you have a download link to the file?

If you want a computer check, follow instructions here  https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
attach Malwarebytes and Farbar Recovery Scan Tool logs.... 3 logs total

see below the box you write in ... Attachments and other options

when done, a malware expert will assist you

REDACTED

Hello,

I am getting that request as well, I have done nothing about it but cancel. How do I stop the damm thing doing that request every 2 minutes anyway? This only started after windows 10 made its way into my life btw

Cheers for your time,

Ian

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
How do I stop the damm thing doing that request every 2 minutes anyway?
Instructions given above