Author Topic: Error Message on Update  (Read 2512 times)

anubeon

Error Message on Update
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:30:24 PM »
Hello All

I've recently been having trouble updating avast 4.6. When I try to manually update the program or virus definitions I recieve the following error dialogue:

The instruction at "0x004400c35" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The memory could not be "read"

Click OK to terminate the program
Click Cancel to debug

Also it appears as though auto update is also having problems, when I start up a red box appears (when I click it there seems to be no explaination as to why update failed).

I've checked my connection and proxy settings and they're fine according to avast.

Cheers,
Anubeon.

PS: I have been having some issues with corrupted page files lately, could this cause the problems described above (simple solution would be for me to repair the page file and see but I'm lazy and want someone else to do the work :P)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error Message on Update
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 03:39:29 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow. You need to be on-line to do this.
If that doesn't work try, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

anubeon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »
I've tried both repairing and reinstalling before I posted and it didn't change a thing. What I want is some form of diagnosis as to what the error actually means (I wish widows spoke english and not nerd).

Also not meaning to sound rude but when I post on technical forums it usually means I've tried the obvious solutions like a clean reinstall/repair.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 11:45:22 PM »
Unfortunately, when you post and don't tell us what you have done, we don't know what you ave tried (you only mentioned Connection and proxy settings). Not to mention for the most part the people who try to help here are avast users just like yourself and volunteers.

I'll make an an assumption that you did reboot between the uninstall and reinstall.

Have you checked the avast! Log Viewer?
You might want to increase the sensitivity of Logging in the Program Settings to 'Debug', this should help the Alwil Team members who frequent the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 03:02:17 PM »
Do you have the system time (year) set correctly on your system?