Author Topic: problems with auto-updates v731 (0xC0000005)  (Read 75635 times)

test123

problems with auto-updates v731 (0xC0000005)
« on: November 19, 2005, 07:35:38 PM »
This is very strange....I had no issues with v 691 with auto-updates but as soon as v 731 I have had all sorts of issues.  I get a red box that pops up that states there was a problem with the updates.  Why?  This must be a bug in this version since v 691 worked flawlessly and I did not make any system changes.  I click on the Avast icon by the clock goto "updating" then iAVS update then a summary screen pops up "Information about current update: Total time: 3 s."  Before it would tell me about the new update.  I cannot get the latest update now.  What is going on?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 12:18:32 PM by kubecj »

test123

Re: problems with auto-updates v731
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 08:15:25 PM »
I just uninstalled v731 and then installed v691....the auto updates worked flawlessly as well as the iAVS updates......there is definitely something wrong with this v731 version.  That is very disappointing!

FlyingHorse

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 09:55:36 PM »
I am a new user and experience the same exact problem. I'm glad to know that I am not alone and can stop pulling my hair out!

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »
Did you allow the new version access through your firewall as it may consider a version change as requiring re-authorisation.  I know ZA does

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 12:37:25 AM »
First a program update is going to trigger several firewall confirmations, firstly avast.setup otherwise you won't be able to update, check your firewall allows avast.setup if you find an entry for it is it blocked, change it or delete the entry and do a manual update, your firewall should ask permission.

Then any changed modules, like ashWebSv.exe, ashMaiSv.exe, etc. these updates will/should have your firewall ask permission, grant it.

When your firewall pops-up a window please take a little time to read what it is about before automatically clicking NO or worse still YES.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

test123

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 01:17:32 AM »
First a program update is going to trigger several firewall confirmations, firstly avast.setup otherwise you won't be able to update, check your firewall allows avast.setup if you find an entry for it is it blocked, change it or delete the entry and do a manual update, your firewall should ask permission.

Then any changed modules, like ashWebSv.exe, ashMaiSv.exe, etc. these updates will/should have your firewall ask permission, grant it.

When your firewall pops-up a window please take a little time to read what it is about before automatically clicking NO or worse still YES.

Thanks for the info....but I am not using a personal firewall, only the XP home.....so this does not apply.  Why does 691 work with no problems and the 731 has all of these issues?  There is something else that is going on.  A friend of mind has this happen with the pro version as well.

AvastForever

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 01:53:35 AM »

Thanks for the info....but I am not using a personal firewall, only the XP home.....so this does not apply.  Why does 691 work with no problems and the 731 has all of these issues? There is something else that is going on.  A friend of mind has this happen with the pro version as well.

Got to agree with you. When i had 691 i had no problems with Web shield whats so ever. Now since i upgrade to new version im getting errors messages sometimes when i connect to internet about Web shield, then web shield do not want to work. It takes about 3 restarts of my computer to finally work the web shield. It only happend a few times, and i getting sick of tried of it. Soemtimes it work and sometimes it dont. What happend to new version? I see alot of peoples having trouble with it?

On side from that everything else work fine from me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 12:52:34 PM »
This must be a bug in this version since v 691 worked flawlessly and I did not make any system changes.
Into Windows Firewall, are avast components allowed to connect?
It's strange... Do you have any other security program installed?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 12:53:54 PM »
When i had 691 i had no problems with Web shield whats so ever. Now since i upgrade to new version im getting errors messages sometimes when i connect to internet about Web shield, then web shield do not want to work. It takes about 3 restarts of my computer to finally work the web shield. It only happend a few times, and i getting sick of tried of it. Soemtimes it work and sometimes it dont. What happend to new version? I see alot of peoples having trouble with it?
Do you see any info into avast logs?
Into Windows Events, is there anything that could give us a light?
Which firewall are you using? Is WebShield allowed to connect?

55degrees

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 04:47:26 PM »
hy,

i've the same problems on my PC (AMD Athlon 64 3000+, Windows XP Prof. 64 bit edition). After installation + reboot, autoupdate worked fine. But now, after every start, avast pops up with an auto-update error, same as described here in this thread. My DSL-Connection goes through a router with a built-in firewalll.

Here is the log:

20.11.2005 12:54:32   SYSTEM   792   Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0xC0000005, dwRes is C0000005. 
20.11.2005 12:54:32   SYSTEM   792   An error has occured while attempting to update. Please check the logs.

greetz, 55degrees ::)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 04:58:08 PM by 55degrees »

usagi

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 10:45:23 PM »

Thanks for the info....but I am not using a personal firewall, only the XP home.....so this does not apply.  Why does 691 work with no problems and the 731 has all of these issues?  There is something else that is going on.  A friend of mind has this happen with the pro version as well.

I have the same problem and i use winxp pro, my winxp pro firewall is not in use.
I'm very angry about this problem, I can't update avast .731 as i use to with .691

When will this bug be fixed?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 10:47:48 PM by usagi »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:24:16 AM »
1. So are you saying you aren't using any firewall, XP or another?
The XP firewall is not a full firewall as it provides not outbound protection, you would be more secure using one of the free firewalls such as Zone Alarm.

2. I don't believe this is a bug, otherwise the forums would be buzzing with it.

Most of the people reporting anything like this are finding their firewall is blocking it because the program has been updated and components have changed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:21:02 AM »
When will this bug be fixed?
There isn't any bug...
Why don't you download the full setupeng.exe file and try to update off-line, just running it over the old installation.
After that, like David said, firewall will ask for connections of the updated components.

tgignac

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 01:25:58 AM »
ok Guys...

I had the same problem (I think) Red box that says wouldn't update.... so... I downloaded the vps manually and tried to install it. I got the following error box:

Can't install VPS update. Please, report following errorcodes:
Ver: 4.6.691
SI: 0x00000002
ST: 0x00000002
LE: 0x00000000.

I'm thinking there is a program update to. I'll try that and see what happens.

Tom

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 01:31:53 AM »
Tom, search the board for LE: 0x00000000 and you'll find a lot of info...
Which is your operational system and firewall?